WGB attached to Mesh doesn't forward Ethernet broadcasts

Unanswered Question
Jul 31st, 2012

Hello all,

We have a requirement for our WGB attached clients to receive regular broadcasts across the mesh.  Based on my current configuration this doesn't appear to be working.  I have no idea why this isn't working.

My mesh is based around 1552E Mesh Access Points, and a  5508 Controller running 7.0.220.0 software

The Work Group Bridges are Autonomous Cisco 1261 APs running 12.4(25d)JA1, attached to a Moxa L2 switch

To complicate matters, the AP and switch are in a network management VLAN (the same as the controller management interface), and the client device is in a seperate VLAN.

There are no problems with unicast traffic to and from the client device.  It is registered correctly on the controller against the right VLAN / controller interface.  I know the broadcasts are present in the VLAN on the LAN side, however they are not received by the client device.

I have enabled Ethernet Broadcast on the controller, in unicast mode (all multicast modes are default)

I have tried the Work group bridges in both infrastructure-client and normal client mode

Can anyone suggest any tests I can confirm to try and track the problem to either the controller or the WGB?

Thanks,

Michael

I have this problem too.
1 vote
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Amjad Abdullah Wed, 08/01/2012 - 00:52

Try enabling multicast globally on the controller:

> config network multicast global enable

m.keetman Wed, 08/01/2012 - 19:07

Regretably enabling multicast globally hasn't helped.

Is it expected that the CPU wouldn't receive the broadcast packets?  I have performed a debug packet, with the source address of the broadcast as a filter, but don't get any hits.  I am certain the packets are being flooded on the LAN.

m.keetman Mon, 08/06/2012 - 21:06

I am assuming you were referring to the Multicast Containment?  I have tried it int in-out and regular mode, to no avail.  I got the impression it was more dealing with bridged traffic between the MAPs themselves?

Would it matter that I am using a static interface (the management interface) for the WGB itself, and a dynamic interface for the end host? 

rfuentes15 Mon, 07/29/2013 - 09:24

Hi Friend!

Did you get any feedback to this? Im facing a similar issue with a Mesh Network (1552E) and AP 1262 as a WGB. The clients behind WGB dont recieve multicas/broadcast traffic in any VLAN 802.1q, but the native vlan.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted July 31, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:
Views:605 Votes:1
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard