Can I add a third DHCP server to a WLAN interface?

Answered Question
Aug 3rd, 2012

I'm running a system that requires a third (and potentially fourth) DHCP server to be setup on each network in my network. 

The first two devices are Windows DHCP servers serving IPs from different address ranges for failover. The third DHCP is just a listener to receive OS information and device names to be logged in a database.

Currently this works like a charm for my wired clients as I can add in the third and fourth ip helper-address on each vlan and the information is received by the listeners.  However, I cannot find anywhere in my WLC5500 to setup these extra two DHCP helper addresses.

The wireless vlan on my layer 3 switch has all the ip helper-addresses, but this doesn't seem to work, and the devices just use the DHCP servers set on the interface in the WLC.

Is this possible?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 1 year 8 months ago

You can disable dhcp proxy on the wlc (as long as the wlc is not doing dhcp). This way you can set your ip helpers on your L3 interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Scott Fella Fri, 08/03/2012 - 09:40

You can disable dhcp proxy on the wlc (as long as the wlc is not doing dhcp). This way you can set your ip helpers on your L3 interface.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella Mon, 08/06/2012 - 04:53

Should work just fine. Let me know.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Scott Fella Mon, 08/06/2012 - 05:06

Good deal... Thanks for using the rating system!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted August 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:5
Views:339 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard