Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-entering network through firewall

tim.karps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have installed a cisco rv220w for a client that use to have a simple linksys router and are having some difficulties configuring it. Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

1) we are trying to see cameras at an office using the iphone.

2) with the linksys we would point the iphone app to the manufacturers dynamic dns account that was tracking the ip address at the office. In turn, the linksys had 3 ports forwarded to the camera controller. All was great.

3) we then installed a cisco rv220w and what happens is when the iphone is outside the internal network (on 3G) it works fine. If the owner comes back to the office and connects to the local wifi he can no longer connect to the camera controller. If he types in the local ip address of the controller it works fine but we can't seem to go out of the internal network, connect to the ddns server, and then come back in. This is only an issue if he has 3G and wifi on in the internal network.

4) if he's on a different wifi network and has 3G on it works just fine.

5) how can i setup the router to allow me to go outside the network and then redirect me back in with both antennas on?

Not sure if this all makes sense. Hope someone can help me out. Below are the settings we used.

Linksys:

Forward tcp port 81 to 192.1681.200 (controller)

Forward tcp port 41790 to 192.168.1.200 (controller)

Forward tcp port 1025 to 192.168.1.201 (ip video server)

This worked flawlessly from his iphone weather in 3G (cell network) or wifi or both.

Cisco rv220w:

Custom services controller1 tcp port 81 to 81

Custom services controller2 tcp port 41790 to 41790

Custom services ipserver tcp port 1025 to 1025

Port forward service controller1 to 192.168.1.200

Port forward service controller2 to 192.168.1.200

Port forward service ipserver to 192.168.1.201

We have also fiddled with different rules and no luck. Is what we are trying to do possible with this router?

One last note: we installed cisco AP-541 access points in a cluster. No settings were modified on the access points and i think they worked fine with the linksys installed but will have to check.

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim, it sounds like you are trying to hair pin. Hair pinning is when you have a computer on the local network of the router and you try to access a resource using the public interface.

There is an open and known issue on the 1.0.3.5 trying to hair pin using a DDNS from the local network. Try to use the IP address:port number and see if it works.  The RV220W has a long history of hair pinning issues. Hair pin issues were supposed to be resolved on the 1.0.3.5 firmware.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

tim.karps
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone? I think the post above may be too complicated to follow so I will simplify.

Basically, from the internal network I can't connect to a dns address that points back to the internal network.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

Tim

Tim, it sounds like you are trying to hair pin. Hair pinning is when you have a computer on the local network of the router and you try to access a resource using the public interface.

There is an open and known issue on the 1.0.3.5 trying to hair pin using a DDNS from the local network. Try to use the IP address:port number and see if it works.  The RV220W has a long history of hair pinning issues. Hair pin issues were supposed to be resolved on the 1.0.3.5 firmware.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your reply. I spent a few hours on google today trying to figure out what it was and eventually figured out what you have just told me.

I did find a thread on the cisco forums that resolved the issue for me...somewhat. If you go to the rules instead of port forwarding and enter the custom services there it works. If you have already forwarded the ports and then go to the rules and hit edit for each one and then hit save it also works.

Not sure why it works this way but you would think that cisco would do a better job in getting this message out considering the amount of threads devoted to this issue. Not sure why a $300.00 router can't accomplish what their lower end linksys routers do.

In any case I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.

Best regards,

Tim

tim.karps
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a cisco small business router that can do hair-pinning without any issues? Wireless is not important but good to have in some scenarios.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Theoretically all of the small business routers should. However, it's not really easy to say which router will perform or not for this function as it is not a documented feature.

-Tom

Thanks Tom,

Apreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: