Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upload

ateeqs.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friend,

We have a router in which we dont have much memeory to keep the existing IOS and upload the new IOS.

i have to delet the old ios and upload the new.

my question? how much time it will take to upload the new ios using the console connection.

please help, any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.                 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No the telnet session would not disconnect just because you deleted the old IOS.

Perhaps it would help to be clear that flash is where the code is stored that is loaded and executed at boot time. After the code is loaded then the router will continue to run the code no matter what happens in flash. so you can easily delete the image in flash and load another image and that will not impact the running of the router.

However you should be aware that there is some risk in doing this. If there is any problem in loading the code over the network there could be a problem. And if the router should reload (power cycle or whatever) before the new code is loaded then the router would not be able to load code and run - and recovery over the network is more challenging. So you should be aware of these risks as you make the decision to erase the image from flash and then to load a new image over the network.

I do not want to be alarmist or to give too negative an impression. I frequently do erase images and load code over the network. And you can do this also. But I just want to be sure that you understand the possible problems as you make your decision.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
how much time it will take to upload the new ios using the console connection.

Depends.  If you leave the BAUD settings to default (9600 bps) then about 4 hours.  If you pump the value to 115200 bps then you can be finish in about 45 to 60 minutes.

Can you specify the exact model of your router?

In addition to that what leo said: You don't have to load the new IOS through the console-connection. Just delete the old one and then load the new IOS through your preferred protocol (TFTP/FTP/HTTP/SCP) while the router is still running.

Thank you very much for your valuable response.

I am using  Cisco 3825 module router.

How it would be, if i telnet the router and deleted the old IOS. will the telnet session get disconnect?

No the telnet session would not disconnect just because you deleted the old IOS.

Perhaps it would help to be clear that flash is where the code is stored that is loaded and executed at boot time. After the code is loaded then the router will continue to run the code no matter what happens in flash. so you can easily delete the image in flash and load another image and that will not impact the running of the router.

However you should be aware that there is some risk in doing this. If there is any problem in loading the code over the network there could be a problem. And if the router should reload (power cycle or whatever) before the new code is loaded then the router would not be able to load code and run - and recovery over the network is more challenging. So you should be aware of these risks as you make the decision to erase the image from flash and then to load a new image over the network.

I do not want to be alarmist or to give too negative an impression. I frequently do erase images and load code over the network. And you can do this also. But I just want to be sure that you understand the possible problems as you make your decision.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

These run fine with SanDiscs 1Gig-CF-cards from the discounter ... Plenty of space for more then one image.

How it would be, if i telnet the router and deleted the old IOS. will the telnet session get disconnect?

No, everything will run fine without the image in flash. Ok, a reboot, crash or power-outage without USV would change the situation ...

If you have a 3825 router, then you can just use a media-card reader and copy the IOS from your PC/Laptop to the CF more quickly than TFTP or via xmodem.

thanks all for your help, its done.

Thanks for posting back to the forum to let us know that it is done. And thank you for using the rating system to indicate that the question is answered. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that an answer was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: