cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New office build out | router recommendation

Steve Larsen
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently helping build out a new office and trying to find the best router for the job. My main concern is ensuring it can handle the WAN line(s) we have coming in. When I looked at the 2921 series it seems to have a throughput max of 75Mbps and with our lines totalling 800Mbps I'm wondering how 'big' of a router we'll need.

Here's some of the details that should give a rough idea of our needs. Our requirements are pretty basic at the moment but we would like to start to build our a reliable network infra as we're quiclkly expanding the business (20 -> 60 employees in 6mo thus far)

300Mbps 1:1 - BT Fibre

100Mbps 1:1 - Virgin

100 person max office size

2-3 VPNs into datacentre's

eventual deployment of our own VoIP network (currently managed by buildings VoIP)

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Steve,

as per the below guide

3925 about 429M

3945 about 500M

however if you have big amount of encrypted traffic this calculation might differ

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

another option you cloud consider is Cisco ASR1000 serise routers

hope this help

Thanks for the information. This confirms some suggestions by a few service providers I've managed to get in touch with today. Another option we saw was the 7301 despite it being EOL'd. The ASR1001 is a bit above our initial budget and doubtful I can make the case for substantial increase in costs.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Attachment has good performance information for the current ISRs.

If you're going to have WAN Ethernet handoffs, L3 switch might be an option.

PS:

BTW, the 7301 you mention is 1 Mpps (and a 7201 is 2 Mpps).

nice doco Joseph 5+

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: