cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N very poor range

dwtcp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, i have a 541N running the latest firmware 2.0.2.

It has 3 SSIDs for the 3 vlans that it has.

I have configured b/g/n.

The power is full

It is powered via POE.

The end customer tells me that the range it covers is very very small!

Comparing to traditional low budget APs the power is very very low.

It does not cover 30-40m in free space where other APs do.

Do i need to configure something more in the radio settings?

Is this as good as it gets?

BR

Anthony

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi DWTCP,

Wireless connectivity is very subjective. The AP541 has been a very solid performer since it's inception.

Verify the follow conditions;

• The AP is installed in a centralized location
  • The Antennas are placed vertically
  • There are no metal objects, reflective surfaces, major absorbing objects, etc
  • The AP is installed in an elevated position
  • If you are using cordless phones or ovens, ensure they are not using the 2.4 GHZ band
  • The AP can cover roughly 4000-5000 square feet with ideal conditions (my house is 2,499 square feet with 1 acre land, I have no problems to reach around my property)

Here are some troubleshooting ideas;

• Download a free program called INSIDDER and check your RSSI and wireless interference
  • While connected to the AP, check your wireless connection status to see if it fluctuates, if you connect 54 mbs, it should stay there, 130 mbps, should stay there, etc. If this fluctuates, you likely have modulation and lower client associations such as  b or g connection
  • Try to set G or N only and test

Hope this helps out a bit.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas,

thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, i have sent the item away to the end customer.

I am sure that the AP541N is installed someplace elevated and the 3 antennas are vertical.

I cannot tell about interference. But i havd never had problems with 1 AP case setup!

As far as the coverage:

5000 sq feet is roughly -> a radius of 40 feet (pix40x40=5000). I don't think that a radius of 40 feet is acceptable.

I have a lot of experience with 1142n. These have a very bigger range.

A 1142N has (roughly) radius coverage of 100-120ft!! And not only that: even a soho dlink has more that 40ft radius coverage.

So, the question is still the same:

Has anyone seen more coverage of 40-50ft for a Ap541N?

If yes, i could schedule to go over the client and do a site survey (yes, for a single AP!!).

But from 40ft to 100ft is a great distance to cover...