Views
Helpful
Replies

Big Thanks to the CCA Dev Team

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cisco Team,

I wish to give my heart felt thanks to the CCA dev team for the latest version (3.2.1), out of the many CCA's I have used over the years this has to be the best revision thus far.

In short I had to do a complete overhaul of a UC-520 last night from its original configuration which was done using "CCC" which was part of an Early Fields Trial test, the system was in a very aged state and in desperate need of the overhaul. CCA managed to upgrade both the CME and CUE with no troubles, which for me has been the first time this has been achievable, in fact when you press the "F2" command to review what's taking place, I noticed that its error handling is significantly improved over previous versions.

I cannot imagine the time and effort that was put into bringing this version to market, but it certainly has improved the ability to rebuild a system from scratch without major drama, what was more impressive is that it allowed an upgrade of the CUE from version 3.2 to 8.1.6.3 without incremental upgrade procedures which I have had to do multiple times in the past... This alone is worthy of praise

The only trouble I had was with the 7941/7961 phones, many of them would not upgrade due to their firmware version, all the 7965/7970 phones upgraded happily even though their firmwars were pretty much original manufacturers... I do however have two phones that are in a semi bricked state now due to this firmware issue, and am not sure how I am going to recover them from this state, but I do know they require a firmware upgrade to recover them.

So any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

David Trad.      

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jforbis
Level 1
Level 1

David.. I have used TFTPD running on a laptop on a isolated network to flash 7941's to the 8.5.2r1 rev so they can go to 8.5.4 with the automatic upgrade on the uc560.

Here is a link that explains it better as you are not converting but using this as a guide for an offline upgrade.

Cisco really needs to come out with an app that will do this easily.

http://www.adrianandgenese.com/blogger/2011/02/16/how-to-upgrade-or-convert-a-cisco-ip-79xx-7940-7960-794x-796x-797x-phone-to-sip-or-sccp/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello David,

Please goto the downloads section of the respective phone and grab the lowest most probably for

7970 - SCCP software Release 6.0(3)_SR1 cmterm-7970_7971-sccp-6-0-3SR1.ZIPfile.

For 7965 SCCP software Release 8.3(2) - cmterm-7945_7965-sccp.8-3-2.zip.

For the 7941/7961 SCCP Release 7.0(2) - cmterm-7941_7961-sccp.7-0-2.zip.

If 7941/61 are 7941/61G-GE - Release 8.2(2)_SR4 - cmterm-7941_7961-sccp.8-2-2SR4.zip

When you get the files if you wish to use the CCA, just delete the phone loads from maitenance->phone load management. Then drag and drop the zip files on the UC to add the new phone load. After successfull upgrade to the uppper metioned version of the phones which could not be updated prevoiusly just remove these fimwares and add the shipped with software pack versions of the latest ones.

HTH,

Alex

EDIT: You may find the following document interesting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/mgcp/firmware/matrix/frmwrup.html

jforbis
Level 1
Level 1

David.. I have used TFTPD running on a laptop on a isolated network to flash 7941's to the 8.5.2r1 rev so they can go to 8.5.4 with the automatic upgrade on the uc560.

Here is a link that explains it better as you are not converting but using this as a guide for an offline upgrade.

Cisco really needs to come out with an app that will do this easily.

http://www.adrianandgenese.com/blogger/2011/02/16/how-to-upgrade-or-convert-a-cisco-ip-79xx-7940-7960-794x-796x-797x-phone-to-sip-or-sccp/

Cheers for that answer

That is going to help me out in a big way, nothing better than getting a link to detailed instructions as it makes life much easier

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I find it funny that you are congrats'ing a team for finally getting the product to work right :D

My last upgrade was not smooth and i had to do a lot of manual work to save the UC, and yes I have never had one go 100% right.

Bob James

Hi Bob,

I always give credit where credit is due, I have worked with CCA since before version 1.8 and worked pretty hard to provide feed back to the dev team over the last 5 years, much of that consisted with a heck of a lot of criticism, both publicly and also in the partner forums which is closed of to end users, but I always gave credit for good work and achieving milestones.

I am thanking them publically, because they are often more than not given flack and hardly ever given praise for good work, and believe that it is unfair of me not to be appreciative of the hard work they put in when they do deliver positive results.

But don't get me wrong, I wont stop giving them a hard time, if it means they continue to listen to the people who use it and work with it and make it better for everyone to enjoy using it That is my mission LOL....

Cheers,

David Trad.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: