Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.2.1 Discovery IP instead of hostname

Wolfgang Maier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we use LMS 4.2.1 and we noticed a strange behaviour when starting a discovery.  From aprox. 160 devices some devices are displayed as IP Address instead of hostname. Every device is DNS resolvable and has a value for "hostname"

I´ve tried every possible option in the global discovery settings but some devices have the IP instead of their hostname

Can you tell me how to fix this? Thank you.

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

DNS is often not understood and just as often implemented badly

When it is working correct you can do 2 things:

ping hostname

will start ping towards the IP address of the host.

ping -a

will resolve the ip to a hostname if possibe and then start a ping towards the IP address.

Often only the first works. Reverse lookup is required by LMS as well.

if you can fix the DNS you can always create a local hosts file

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

DNS is often not understood and just as often implemented badly

When it is working correct you can do 2 things:

ping hostname

will start ping towards the IP address of the host.

ping -a

will resolve the ip to a hostname if possibe and then start a ping towards the IP address.

Often only the first works. Reverse lookup is required by LMS as well.

if you can fix the DNS you can always create a local hosts file

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michael,

thank you for your reply. It works. The second one takes a bit longer till the first ping gets through but it works.

Have a nice day,

Chris

I beg your pardon, Michel. I´ll check the DNS entries once again and give it another try. Thank you

Tag Christian,

So does the second 'ping -a'  resolve to a hostname?

Perhaps post a screenshot of the global settings of the discovery

Cheers,

Michel

Tag Michel,

yes, i´ve checked the DNS entries with our server team and they told me that te reverse-lookup are not entered for that devices although i can ping a device with ping -a

Strange.

Well, i´ll enter the missing reverse-lookups and will see if these solves the problem. Thank you for your time.

Chris

Michel,

the reverse entries are now configured in the DNS Server and the discovery works now. Great, thank you.

Cheers,

Chris

Christian

You may find that in (DFM) fault management devices remain with their IP address only.

Easiest solution is to disable the fault management module, wait for an hour or so. And then re-enable it again.

This will make DFM remove the devices from its repository and rediscover them afterwards.

This will use at bit of CPU   :-)

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: