Views
Helpful
Replies

what these messages mean? 6509E

timber2005
Level 1
Level 1

hi, all

i got some problems, this is part of "show logging" output:                  

3y20w: %SIBYTE-DFC9-3-CORRECTABLE_ECC_ERR: A correctable ECC error has occurred, A_BUS_L2_ERRORS: 0x1, A_BUS_MEMIO_ERRORS: 0xFF, A_SCD_BUS_ERR_STATUS: 0x80DC0700

3y22w: %SIBYTE-DFC9-3-CORRECTABLE_ECC_ERR: A correctable ECC error has occurred, A_BUS_L2_ERRORS: 0x1, A_BUS_MEMIO_ERRORS: 0xFF, A_SCD_BUS_ERR_STATUS: 0x80DC0000

3y20w: %SIBYTE-DFC9-3-CORRECTABLE_ECC_ERR: A correctable ECC error has occurred, A_BUS_L2_ERRORS: 0x1, A_BUS_MEMIO_ERRORS: 0xFF, A_SCD_BUS_ERR_STATUS: 0x80DC0700

3y22w: %SIBYTE-DFC9-3-CORRECTABLE_ECC_ERR: A correctable ECC error has occurred, A_BUS_L2_ERRORS: 0x1, A_BUS_MEMIO_ERRORS: 0xFF, A_SCD_BUS_ERR_STATUS: 0x80DC0000

what these messages mean? does the '9' of 'DFC9' mean the slot 9 ? this is part of "show modu" output for your information:

Mod Ports    Card Type                                                    Model              Serial No.

9   48    CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet    WS-X6748-GE-TX    

Mod    Sub-Module                                         Model              Serial           Hw     Status

9     Distributed Forwarding Card      WS-F6700-DFC3C                             1.2    Ok

should i do something for this ? i mean would  these errors cause  some more serious problems? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Feng,

A low number of correctable ECC errors are harmless, in fact the memory correction is doing its job by preventing IOS from reloading. My concern was that it was happening consistently and repeatedly resulting in a lot of instances of the error in the logs. If there are only a couple, then there is nothing to worry about, but if it progresses and you notice it happening very frequently, then a TAC case should be opened to replace the card.

I think you are fine for now, the messages are very old. Here is a document with more information:

https://techzone.cisco.com/t5/Stand-Alone/All-About-Parity-Errors/ta-p/55750

Thanks

Anthony

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

(%SIBYTE-CFC10-3) 10 is the line card which is generating this error, 3 is the syslog level

Look at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sb/system/messages/sm2sb04.html#wp1015809

Error Message 

%SIBYTE-3-CORRECTABLE_ECC_ERR : A correctable ECC error has occurred, A_BUS_L2_ERRORS: [hex], A_BUS_MEMIO_ERRORS: [hex], A_SCD_BUS_ERR_STATUS: [hex]

Explanation:   A correctable ECC error has occurred.

Recommended Action :   Copy the message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log. Research and attempt to resolve the issue using the tools and utilities provided at

http://www.cisco.com/tac. With some messages, these tools and utilities will supply clarifying information. Also perform a search of the Bug Toolkit

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/home.pl. If you still require assistance, open a case with the Technical Assistance Center via the Internet

http://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/create, or contact your Cisco technical support representative and provide the representative with the gathered information.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

answanso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Feng,

If it is happening repeatedly it is most likely a hardware error on slot 9. I would open a TAC case and see about getting it replaced.

Anthony

hi Anthony,

Thank you for your reply.Now the situation is , the whole device seems to work smoothly, even the card of slot 9. if i had not check the logs, i even think there is nothing wrong.The error messages  appear several times, but it is not only recently,the earliest time is last year maybe. So as this situation, should i still replace the card ?

Hi Feng,

A low number of correctable ECC errors are harmless, in fact the memory correction is doing its job by preventing IOS from reloading. My concern was that it was happening consistently and repeatedly resulting in a lot of instances of the error in the logs. If there are only a couple, then there is nothing to worry about, but if it progresses and you notice it happening very frequently, then a TAC case should be opened to replace the card.

I think you are fine for now, the messages are very old. Here is a document with more information:

https://techzone.cisco.com/t5/Stand-Alone/All-About-Parity-Errors/ta-p/55750

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it helps a lot. And I have one last question, if there are 15 error messages in the last 30 weeks, how do you think, is it a large number ? And need to replace or not?

Hi Feng,

Those are not a significant amount, so I wouldn't replace it. Do you have service internal configured on the 6509? The reason I ask is there was an enhancement to remove those from the logging buffer a while back.

I would be concerned if the errors are happening on a daily basis, many times, and continue day after day after day and do not stop. At that point I would start by reseating the module and if it didn't resolve itself, I would remove the DRAM and clean the area and reseat the DRAM. If that didn't fix it, I would replace the module and if you replace it and it happens again on a new module, I would move the module to a different slot and see if the issue is persistent between slots. At this point, you will probably want to get TAC envolved to do an RMA and work through all the steps with you.

HTH

Anthony

Thank you Anthony,thank you.You really helped me a lot.Now I know this problem very well. By the way, are you a employee of CISCO?

I am

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Reseat the module

2.  Relocate the module to a different slot

If all else fails, contact TAC.  The card may be failing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card