Views
Helpful
Replies

E20 Static IP Asssignment

ACorpolongo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We are attempting to learn the E20 to showcase it at a SMB demo in a few weeks, and I am having issues with our in-house testing.  I have a E20 running TE4.1.1.273710 with H323 enabled.  I have it configured for a static IP address however it persists in grabbing the first available DHCP address.  Under Network I have IPStack: IPv4 and Assignment: Static both configured.  I set up H323 NAT and was able to place a call over the WAN, but I really need to be able to assign a static address to the unit.  I have seen a discussion with another user having a similar issue that was closed due to him finding a workaround.  Does anyone here have any experience with static IP assignment issues on the E20?  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Alex,

We have seen some cases where the E20 Video Phone out of the box behaves in such a way and has issues for IP assignment. I would request you to follow this procedure and let us know if this resolves your issue :

• Configure the Assignment to be DHCP first
  • Reload a fresh software image TE4.1.1 to the E20 Video Phone (Do Not swap the software image but instead upgrade the E20 through the web interface)

Once the new software image loads up, try to make the assignment Static and see if you're able to configure the IP address.

The steps provided by Martin above are correct for configuring Static assignment. Please share the results once you have performed these steps.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all I like DHCP, one option can be to configure the DHCP server with the MAC address of the E20

to always hand it out the same IP address.

Besides that, please configure all of these settings:

xConfiguration Network 1 IPv4 Address: “

xConfiguration Network 1 IPv4 Gateway: “

xConfiguration Network 1 IPv4 Subnetmask: “

xConfiguration Network 1 DNS Domain Name: “

xConfiguration Network 1 DNS Server 1 Address: “

especially the lack of the IPv4 Gateway seems to prevent the E20 to set up the static ip address.

If you do not have one, then still set an ip from the same network as your endpoint.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I had all of those options configured (with real values) except domain name.  I just added a local-only domain name, and rebooted.  Still grabbing the first available DHCP address.  Thanks though!

Hi Alex,

We have seen some cases where the E20 Video Phone out of the box behaves in such a way and has issues for IP assignment. I would request you to follow this procedure and let us know if this resolves your issue :

• Configure the Assignment to be DHCP first
  • Reload a fresh software image TE4.1.1 to the E20 Video Phone (Do Not swap the software image but instead upgrade the E20 through the web interface)

Once the new software image loads up, try to make the assignment Static and see if you're able to configure the IP address.

The steps provided by Martin above are correct for configuring Static assignment. Please share the results once you have performed these steps.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Another interesting caveat, I had not attempted to access the E20 web interface before.  While the system is responding to pings at its DHCP assigned address, I am unable to access its web interace in any of the big 3 browsers.  Tried HTTP and HTTPS.

The E20 is very slow regards booting. If its pingable but the services are not up or no http(s)

it possibly has not started the cisco application yet.

You might be able to ssh to it as root (but not as an admin).

If Mubashshirs re-upgrade suggestion did not help, I would try to do a factory default reset.

If you have a really cheap and stupid switch I would just hook it up to that one and see if this

behaves different, not that there are some DHCP settings for things like CUCM or CDP

which force the system to behave strange.

I will try a factory reset next, thanks Martin.  That can be done from the device itself, correct?  The web interface was just turned off in the config, must have been screwing around with it last week.  I am now downloading the firmware package to reapply via web interface.  Will let you all know if it works.

Is this behavior now after the upgrade?

Sure that the upgrade is finalized? I would not reboot it upfront.

Can you ssh to it (user admin or user root)?

I would always log in to the endpoint via ssh during an upgrade, as the upgrade

outputs some status messages.

One of the best things to troubleshhot is the serial port, but on the e20 it requires a special cable, ...

To factory default reset it, reboot it and:

1. 416:  How do I reset the Cisco IP Video Phone E20 to the factory settings using the keypad?

To reset the Cisco IP Video Phone E20 to the default factory settings: On the E20 keypad, press the following keys:
    * * Presentation # #
    (The Presentation key has the icon of an open laptop computer.) This needs to be done within ~3 seconds.

Applies to the following products:

y Cisco IP Video Phone E20

login as admin via ssh and type, followed by enter:

xcommand SystemUnit FactoryReset Confirm: Yes

the system might boot automatically, if not please do so your self after some seconds.

Last resourt:

login as root (always be careful using the root account) and

rm /config/config.db*

and reboot the endpoint afterwards

Small disclaimer, as I can not guarantee that a system becomes unreachable or gets other problems, to execute

the commands / procedures is your choice and I can not be taken responsible for it. In any doubt please better

contact cisco tac :-)

Went to try a more basic switch but then realized I have the E20 wired directly into our Comcast business router.

not sure how to interpret that comment.

they still might have cdp or some special dhcp values set up on that one.

Especially on devices where you do not have full control its worth trying to rule them out :-)

And Alex: please do not forget to rate the messages!

Hi Alex,

As Martin suggested, are you able to SSH into it ?? Have you tried to login via root ??

If the Web Interface is not coming up, you can upgrade the codec through WinSCP. I had created a document for that which would allow you to reload a fresh image. You can follow the steps in this document :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24297

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Just an FYI, the document is for TC codecs but following the same steps you will be able to upgrade E20 as well.

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

ACorpolongo
Level 1
Level 1

Was able to get into the web interface and did a firmware update, the unit is now operating on a static IP.  Thank you both so much for the help and advice!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: