Views
Helpful
Replies

From start to finish on UC540

nickhesson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I don't know about you all.  But the CCA has giving me lots of problems.    So I got problems that i need to figure out.  We have small branch locations that have only about 5 to 20 users at.  So we have purchased 3 of these units (3 more on the way), because the UC320 does not allow us to chagne the voice VLAN ID from 100.  Each location will have there own set of VLAN IDs preset for Data, and Voice.  We only need the UC540 for voice "pbx" for the site and Wireless AP in the building were the UC540 will be. 

Questions/Problems:

1. Right off the bat I read everywhere that the UC540 is only supported in CCA and not CLI.  But I don't see away to enable VTP in CCA?  What can i do?
  2. So on the first and only unit thus far, I went ahead and enable VTP on the UC540 via Cli.  When I jump back into the CCA, to change IP settings, when I hit the Apply button the CCA starts configure "DHCP pools...", and stays there for ever.  How do i fix this?
  3. Also, the only other thing I have done in the Cli is create a SVI for our management vlan and added a route to the UC540.  So I can access the unit.  But i see that the UC540 uses BVI for interfaces.

Here is what I'm tring to get to, so please any suggestions on how to get to this point:

• Enable VTP
  • on the UC540 data and Voice VLAN ID change.
  • The data VLAN is really only going to be used for wireless traffic into the existing wired network and Management of the UC540 itself.
  • Change the Voice VLAN ID and subnet range, and be the DHCP server for the at VLAN.
  • We need to configure SIP trunks over the WAN port. 
    • But the UC540 will not need to NAT or support any firewall functions.  So will need to disable these.
  • Enable Wireless for the Data VLAN.

So please if you if anyone has a overview step by step i should follow, because what I have now is a unit that I can't change IP addresses on, or anything else really.  I haven't even started on the Telephony stuff.  Do you see any problems with these wants?

Thanks,

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

towagner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
  • The UC540 does not support VTP.  Please remember that the UC540 is designed for the stand-alone Small Business customer.  However, since UC540 runs IOS under the covers, you will see a lot of "artifacts" in the CLI.  But just because a feature appears in the CLI doesn't mean it's supported (or even works) on the UC540.  This is why you can't "save" it.  In general, I would not use VTP anyway as the UC540 only support 5 VLANs. 
  • You can change the default VLANs from CCA.  By default, VLAN 1 is for data, and VLAN 100 is for voice.  But you can modify the defaults.  Just follow the directions on the CCA Configuration Guide on page 174. 
  • You can change IP addresses and DHCP scopes (see page 185).
  • You cannot "disable" the firewall, but you can modify the settings so that it's not performing any functions per se.  See page 248.  You can also disable NAT if you don't need it (page 233). 
  • To enable and configure the wireless functions, see page 193.
  • Link to CCA Admin Guide:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_assistant/version3_2_1/administration_guide/cca_sbcs_admin_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

towagner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
  • The UC540 does not support VTP.  Please remember that the UC540 is designed for the stand-alone Small Business customer.  However, since UC540 runs IOS under the covers, you will see a lot of "artifacts" in the CLI.  But just because a feature appears in the CLI doesn't mean it's supported (or even works) on the UC540.  This is why you can't "save" it.  In general, I would not use VTP anyway as the UC540 only support 5 VLANs. 
  • You can change the default VLANs from CCA.  By default, VLAN 1 is for data, and VLAN 100 is for voice.  But you can modify the defaults.  Just follow the directions on the CCA Configuration Guide on page 174. 
  • You can change IP addresses and DHCP scopes (see page 185).
  • You cannot "disable" the firewall, but you can modify the settings so that it's not performing any functions per se.  See page 248.  You can also disable NAT if you don't need it (page 233). 
  • To enable and configure the wireless functions, see page 193.
  • Link to CCA Admin Guide:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_configuration_assistant/version3_2_1/administration_guide/cca_sbcs_admin_guide.pdf

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be informational, and regurdless of VTP support or not.  VTP does in fact work on the UC540.  But is that the cause for all the problems in the CCA? 

The UC540 will not be the gateway for data nor will it support DHCP function for data VLANs as well.  In fact the UC540 only will need two vlans one for management of the device, and other for Voice.  But the WAN port will be configured to support of SIP trunk traffic.  Do you see a problem with this?

Thanks,

Nick

Right, there are probably all sorts of featuers you can technically "enable" on the UC540 via CLI (because again, its essentially running IOS).  But support for these features have not been built into CCA, nor are any of these functions TAC supported.  By deviating from the CCA Admin Guide (and using the CLI), you risk getting into a situation where you have a very complex problem that will be hard to troubleshoot and you won't get TAC support for it.  If there are specific full-IOS features you really require, then you need to use a full IOS platform.

I don't see any problems with your above setup per se.  The only thing I'll point out is that this is not a typical setup or role for this device.  So from a support perspective, the SMB TAC is focusing on how this product works as an all-in-one device.  If you run into strange issues, you may be ultimately be on your own to chase down the problems you find. For example, the box is designed to provide DHCP direclty. But if you put a DHCP server north of the WAN port and try to relay through there, that might not work (or will result in odd behavior).  

See, I don't think i'm making my self clear.  The WAN port will only be connected to the internet to support SIP. 

One IP on a data vlan for local managment of the unit.

One IP on a voice vlan support for phones.

That's all we need.  UC540 does not support this role or function?

Thanks for the support,

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: