cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200-26 How to configure fast NFS filetransfer

dirkjandehaan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG 200-26. Port 1 goes to Internet. Port 2 to a Synology NAS. Port 3 to a 'small' gigabit hub with a computer and a media player connected. All gigabit connections. The media player uses NFS to access a share on the NAS. How do I configure the SG200 to get max throughput?

Reason is: before I used the SG200 I used a standard hub. THroughput was perfect, HD movies played seamless. With the SG200, performance is significantly less. HD movies are not playable.

I tried switching QoS on, ports 2 and 3 to level 7, and off. Did not solve the prob.

Anyone ideas?

5 Replies 5

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dirk, it sounds like you may need to enable Jumbo frames.

You may also disable spanning tree and set the bpdu to filtering. This will help with switch overhead.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas,

THanks for your tips. Jumbo frames I cannot switch on, because the media player does not support that.

I disabled spanning tree an set bpdu to filtering, but it does not solve the prob. I also loaded the latest firmware that came out yesterday. I am quite a nono in this area...

-should QoS be on?

-is it relevant how the port is configured (flow control, MDI)

-is it relevant how the smart port is configured?

You may enable a basic QoS per port which will classify traffic off the DSCP map, this is true and may be helpful. You can try to set manual port negotiation. You may want to check the port status to see if it is negotiation 1000, 100 or 10 and if it is full or half duplex.

Try setting the port to 100 full or 1000 full.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Sorry, but this does not solve the prob either. Have the port on 1000 full, QoS for both relevant port to 4. I also tried Jumb o Frames on, but I guess that only makes sense if also NAS and other components are in Jumbo frame, are they? As that is where the problem is, the media player I cannot set to jumbo. I dont understand why the switch is causing this trouble, Could it be the cooperation with the gigabit-hub at the tv-set that does not like the SG200?

Thanks, DJ

Hi Dirk,

It seems like a negotiation issue of a sort. It would be logical to see if you can break down the network and test different scenarios.

If it is possible, try to have the hub removed and see if there are performance issue? If you make any kind of point to point connection through the switch, are there problems?

-Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X