Views
Helpful
Replies

Using an Updating Template To Update Firmware

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to use an updating template to upgrade firmware? If so does anyone have any examples/documents? I would like to have the firmware automatically update the next time it boots.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HX,

You can certainly use an Updating Template to update FW, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.  I'm very cautious using updating templates for anything other than items that dont require a blade reboot (such as add/remove VLANs).  The only time customers use FW policies linked to their service profiles is if their OS/Application requires a specific version of Adapter/CIMC/BIOS FW. 

To update a service profile with FW you need to create a Host Firmware policy (for BIOS, Adapter and Board Controller FW), and a Management FW policy for CIMC FW.  Once you have both policies you set the Management & Host Firmware policies in the service profile or Updating template accordingly in the "Policies" tab.

You can also use a Maintenance Policy along with a schedule to post-phone any changes to either a calendar date/time or until the change is acknowledged by a user implicitly.

The config guides will have the syntax and how to do each task, but we don't have a speficic doc detailing just what I mentioned above.

Test it out so you know the implications of using Updating Templates and the behavior of applying changes.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card