Views
Helpful
Replies

Using an Updating Template To Update Firmware

thehxman101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to use an updating template to upgrade firmware? If so does anyone have any examples/documents? I would like to have the firmware automatically update the next time it boots.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HX,

You can certainly use an Updating Template to update FW, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.  I'm very cautious using updating templates for anything other than items that dont require a blade reboot (such as add/remove VLANs).  The only time customers use FW policies linked to their service profiles is if their OS/Application requires a specific version of Adapter/CIMC/BIOS FW. 

To update a service profile with FW you need to create a Host Firmware policy (for BIOS, Adapter and Board Controller FW), and a Management FW policy for CIMC FW.  Once you have both policies you set the Management & Host Firmware policies in the service profile or Updating template accordingly in the "Policies" tab.

You can also use a Maintenance Policy along with a schedule to post-phone any changes to either a calendar date/time or until the change is acknowledged by a user implicitly.

The config guides will have the syntax and how to do each task, but we don't have a speficic doc detailing just what I mentioned above.

Test it out so you know the implications of using Updating Templates and the behavior of applying changes.

Regards,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card