Helpful
Replies

SC/LC Cable between 2960S stack and 4948

randerson
Level 1
Level 1

4948 has X2-10GB-SR

2960S has SFP-10G-SR

Hopefully this is a simple question - I'm connecting the two devices above and I need an LC to SC fiber cable. It should be pretty simple but I've seen two different types of LC/SC cables - one is 8.3/125 and one is 62.5/125. I believe the 62.5 is an older cable type but when looking at the detail sheets for each of the SFPs I see that both of these support a 62.5 or 50 micron core size.

So, which one do I need? What does the 8.3/125 cable get used for?

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-3-Meter-LC-SC-MMF-Fiber-Patch-Cable-62.5-125-10ft-EXCLUSIVE-PRICE/415028.aspx

or

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Belkin-3-meter-Singlemode-LC-SC-Duplex-Fiber-Optic-cable/402470.aspx

Thanks!

EDIT: looks like maybe singlemode is 8.3 and multimode is 62.5/50. Is that correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most new cable infrastructures use 50u or 50/125 laser optimized. And as you already know 62.5 is an older version.

If you are connecting the 2 switches back-to-back without patch panels than use 50u. If you are going through patch panels and your existing infrastructure is 62.5, than use a 62.5 LC to SC patch cord.  This is all multimode.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most new cable infrastructures use 50u or 50/125 laser optimized. And as you already know 62.5 is an older version.

If you are connecting the 2 switches back-to-back without patch panels than use 50u. If you are going through patch panels and your existing infrastructure is 62.5, than use a 62.5 LC to SC patch cord.  This is all multimode.

HTH

I think that is what I need to know Reza - thanks (assigned points)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco