Views
Helpful
Replies

N7K-VDC1K9 support question re: N7K-SUP2

pmickelsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've seen in the Configuration tool that the N7K-VDC1K9 license for +4 VDC is orderable for the N7K-SUP2.  I would like clarification on whether this license is required for use of VDC 1 to 4, or if it adds VDC 5 to 8 on the SUP2.  We have the N7K-C7009-SBUN-P1 license bundle with Advanced ENT included.  I've been confused and understood the SUP2 is only up to 4 VDC, and the SUP2E is up to 8.  The availablility of this N7K-VDC1K9 license, leads me to believe the SUP2 can support more than 4 VDC.  Please advise, as we would like to leverage more than 4 VDC on the SUP2 (not the SUP2E)

Thanks,

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Paul and Leo,

Just want to clarify SUP2 and SUP2E here.

SUP2 will support 4+1 VDC at FCS (NX-OS 6.1.1) and SUP2E will support upto 8+1 VDC. The VDC upgrade is for SUP2E not SUP2.

BTW, NX-OS 6.1.1 is posted to CCO as of right now.

Please check out the release note for more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only difference between N7k's Sup2 and Sup2E is the amount of DRAM.  Sup2 has 12 Gb of DRAM while Sup2E has 32 Gb of DRAM.

In regards to vDC, both Sup2 and Sup2E.  They both support 6 vDC and 1 admin vDC.  In the future, this number will grow to 8 vDC plus 1 Admin vDC (aka "stretched"). 

Hi Paul and Leo,

Just want to clarify SUP2 and SUP2E here.

SUP2 will support 4+1 VDC at FCS (NX-OS 6.1.1) and SUP2E will support upto 8+1 VDC. The VDC upgrade is for SUP2E not SUP2.

BTW, NX-OS 6.1.1 is posted to CCO as of right now.

Please check out the release note for more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html

Regards,

jerry

Thanks for the update Jerry! 

You are welcome Leo.

Devavrat Oka
Level 1
Level 1

Do we need the N7K-VDC1K9 license per Sup2e or per chassis? If I have 2 7009 with 2 Sup2e each, do I need 4 counts of N7K-VDC1K9 or 2 counts of N7K-VDC1K9?

Thanks,

Dev

Do you have the Advanced Services Packages (N7K-ADV1K9)? This will give you 4+1 VDC day 1 (instead of 1+1).

N7K-VDC1K9 is incremental of 4 VDCs when you have the Advanced Services Packages.

VDC license is per chassis.

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry, I found this on Cisco a few minutes after I posted that question...

N7K-VDC1K9—Enables support for eight VDCs on the Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Supervisor 2E module. This is a new license. One license is needed per chassis. A separate license is not required for each supervisor module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html#wp539647

Is the N7K-ADV1K9 per chassis or per sup?

N7K-ADV1K9 is per chassis.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks much appreciated!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: