cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I determine the IP address of my Cisco 2950 switch?

TechShuiCo
Level 1
Level 1

Do they have a default IP assigned to them?

I'm trying to access the CMS administration page from my browser. I've already tried 192.168.0.1 and that brings up my gateway (cable modem from Time Warner).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Tim

16 Replies 16

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would need to console to it and see if there is an IP address by issuing "sh run"

if not you need to assign an IP and enable HTTP to access the switch

HTH

And how do I do that? 

With a SSH client, -- like PuTTY for example?

Then type root as the username, but what would be the default password to remote in via SSH.

Hi,

you could try to ping 255.255.255.255 or  sniff traffic and look for cdp packets.

if you want to log into the switch just use telnet with putty.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Question....what does pinging 255.255.255.255 do?

Hi,

it should get the reply from the switch if it has an IP in the same vlan as the host pinging , it works with routers and switches and it should have worked with linux box, not Windows but here I tried it with Ubuntu and it didn't work 

so definitely not a good solution here.

Regards.

Alain

Ping could not find the host 255.255.255.255

I'm trying to troubleshoot the 2950 switch, it seems to be working intermittently.

I called my ISP and they said there have been no inturruption in service, but I want to be sure of the root cause.

I highly doubt it's the switch since there's never been trouble with it before. The technician for my ISP said he did not even see the switch or any of the 24 IP addresses connected to it, and he asked if the switch doubled as a firewall.

I said no I don't think so, and he replied, "login to your switch and see if it has a firewall setting".

He was probably just giving me a wild goose chase, I mean, settings don't change themselves, but maybe, just MAYBE the switch could have a hardware issue.

I checked the cabling that's not the problem.

Hi Timothy,

you should try by show cdp nei det

Good Luck

Alessio

Tim,

What is the problem with you getting console access?

If you cannot get access physical access to the switch, then hook up to one of the access ports and run a packet sniffer, and you should see the switch send packets. 

Have you rebooted the switch recently?  Maybe a memory leak?

>>I highly doubt it's the switch since there's never been trouble with it before.

Things break...if I never had trouble with my car I would never have learned about started, alternators, batteries, or radiators!!   Man, if things  never broke we would be all in Model Ts!

>> but what would be the default password to remote in via SSH.

SSH would have to be setup on the switch, and if your the chief bottlewasher, you should have the password.

>>He was probably just giving me a wild goose chase, I mean, settings don't change

Maybe, maybe not...notice, they 'shouldnt' change. what if a config was changed, no config was saved, power outage...and it reboots w/o the change.

Your switch might even be setup to get an IP from the ISP, but use DHCP.

In the very end, and most importantly, document everything (closet location, key access, username/password, etc).

Let us know when you get access and good luck!

jimmysands73 wrote:

Tim,

What is the problem with you getting console access?

If you cannot get access physical access to the switch, then hook up to one of the access ports and run a packet sniffer, and you should see the switch send packets. 

Have you rebooted the switch recently?  Maybe a memory leak?

>>I highly doubt it's the switch since there's never been trouble with it before.

Things break...if I never had trouble with my car I would never have learned about started, alternators, batteries, or radiators!!   Man, if things  never broke we would be all in Model Ts!

>> but what would be the default password to remote in via SSH.

SSH would have to be setup on the switch, and if your the chief bottlewasher, you should have the password.

>>He was probably just giving me a wild goose chase, I mean, settings don't change

Maybe, maybe not...notice, they 'shouldnt' change. what if a config was changed, no config was saved, power outage...and it reboots w/o the change.

Your switch might even be setup to get an IP from the ISP, but use DHCP.

In the very end, and most importantly, document everything (closet location, key access, username/password, etc).

Let us know when you get access and good luck!

What do you mean by "console"? I don't see a db9 port, or anything other than 24 ethernet ports.

1. Yes, I rebooted it, and rebooted my ISP gateway too.

2. I have physical access to the switch and 19 or so workstations, 2 printers, and 2 cameras that are connected to it.

3. The flow is as follows > ISP's gateway router > 2950 switch > client workstations

I've always assumed that switches don't have an IP address, that's one of the things that differentiates them from routers. When the ISP tech on the phone said "Login to your switch's administation page by putting it's IP address into a browser", I assumed he knew what he was talking about, I told him several times it's a switch, NOT a router.

Couple things I've tried so far,

- Ping the ISP IP address of 24.227.172.186, came back with 4 replies

- Ping the WAN address, which is 24.227.172.185, no replies, all timed out

The intermittent disconnects happen very fast, it happens across the whole network.

For example, I'll get a 404 in a browser window, and sometimes 10 seconds later, reload the browser and it's OK again. Happens every 15 minutes or so... Really seems unlikely that it's the switch, but the quickest way to check is probably buy a new switch to see if the problems dissappear.

I can ping that device, but telnet does not work.   Your http connections drop, what if you ran

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

From a windows command prompt to see if the pings drop when you lose your http connections.  Odds are your pings will drop.

- Ping the WAN address, which is 24.227.172.185, no replies, all timed out.

C:\Users\Jimmy>PING  24.227.172.185

Pinging 24.227.172.185 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 24.227.172.185: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=52
Reply from 24.227.172.185: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=52
Reply from 24.227.172.185: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=52
Reply from 24.227.172.185: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 24.227.172.185:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 81ms

I could not telnet to the sw, but I did open up IE, put in the IP of 24.227.172.185, and got connected via http.    You do have some security holes, but this is where I stopped. 

If you have physical access to the sw, why can you not use a cisco console cable and let us work the solution from there?  If you do not have the console/enable password, then we can guide you through password recovery.  But since this is a production switch, if your not comfortable doing this yourself, you might seek f2f guidance.  Would hate to have the network down!  You can use password recovery to set a new password on the switch.

Instructions from Ciscos site: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Youtube video ( I have not watched, just found )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VY5B6cTkT8

Thanks for your help so far.

Looks like you found the D-Link router that's hooked up, and looks like the default setting for access is http, I'll have to change that to https protocol.

I have no idea what a Cisco Console cable is, I'm not a network admin.

Ok, secure that Linksys down.

And a cisco console cable can be found in most networks guys cars, houses, desk, drawers, closets, everywhere! 

I would hate to say buy one, but they cant be that much, but if you know anyone in your area, you might want to ask.   Or if you have ever unpacked a cisco sw/router, they always ship with one.

You can make one or buy one:

http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-6-ft-rj45-to-db9-cisco-console-management-router-cable-m-f/210740028.html?listingId=137149497

I just found an example, looks to be 10-15 bucks.

To be honest from your post I don't understand location of the switch.

I assume that your network is designed as follows and 2950 is yours:

ISP->Router->2950Switch

1. If you can access internet from the PC, so you know the subnet, where your network resides.

2. If you want to discover devices in your network try using such tools like NMAP, to map your network.

If there is nothing just 2 IP addresses (gateway and IP of PC), so switch has no ip assigned to it (or it is not configured properly).

You can use console cable and try to access it. If there is no password, try to list configuration using sh run command.

If there is a password, please follow password resetting procedure to get an access to the switch (just google for it).

But be careful, you can break things easily!!!

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Timothy Alfaro wrote:

Do they have a default IP assigned to them?

I'm trying to access the CMS administration page from my browser. I've already tried 192.168.0.1 and that brings up my gateway (cable modem from Time Warner).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Tim

Having read everyone elses suggestions - grab yourself a copy of the Solar Winds IP Address tracker (it's free, but you have to register for their web site, which means youget spammed - easy to delete).

Then use this to scan your local subnet. It'll find *every* active IP address in the subnet for you - you then just have to try and connect to the ones you *don't* recognise - changes are one of them will be the switch.

It is possible that the switch doesn't HAVE an Ip address - the 2950 is a layer two switch, and the only IP address on it would be for management - and unless someone assigned it one, it doesn't have one by default.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: