Views
Helpful
Replies

How to peer with two un-related routers which are using the same BGP AS

andrew_ho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I ran into a situation where I have to configure a router to peer with two un-related routers (belong to two different organizations) using the same private AS.

Router A (AS 64514)  --- Router B (AS 65007) --- Router C (AS 64514)

I have control of Router B&C but not A. All the AS cannot be changed.

Any suggestion on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Andrew Ho

9 Replies 9

andrew_ho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Forgot to mention that routes need to be exchanged between router A and C.

Andrew

Have you looked at allow as in feature ? I think its what you need.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080b59d08.shtml

HTH

Samir

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

sreenath1987
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think there should be any issue .

Get the basics right, you need connectivity between two routers A and C which are two different offices.. So they will not have any physical connection.. Hence, ensure that you form a routing path, may be GRE, then try forming the neighbor relation.

I have not tried this, but should be okay. Let us know what's the exact issue you face

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

RouterB peers with A & C, since they have same AS, prefixes would be rejected. Allow AS in will bypass this default behaviour.

There was no mention of direct peering...which I cant see how to establish before routing between A & C in 1st place.

HTH

Samir

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi All,

In fact, I am looking for the "as-override" feature but in a non-mpls setup. I have tried on IOS 12.4 and 15.0 but cannot find this command? BTW, I have tried on a Cisco 1941. Is this feature specific to particular model or feature set? Any idea or other suggestion?

Regards,

Andrew Ho

Andrew,

The as-override function is, to my knowledge, available in per-VRF setups only. However, as Samir suggested a few posts earlier, another approach is to use the neighbor allowas-in - do you believe this would work for you?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

The actual situation is more complicated than this, where router A & C are also indirectly connected via some other AS in between forming a loop, or redundancy if you wish.

I did try the allowas-in approach, it worked. However, it won't be able to handle some scenarios. Also, I don't have control of some of these external AS, making it difficult to implement.

As a result, the as-override approach would be ideal for me. But just can't find that command anywhere.

Regards,

Andrew  

Andrew,

You would find the as-override command if you configure BGP neighbors in a VRF:

router bgp 1

address-family ipv4 vrf ABCD

neighbor N.N.N.N remote-as X

neighbor N.N.N.N as-override

However, that would require you to run your BGP on the "PE-like" device in a VRF. It is not necessarily tied to MPLS, i.e. this can be used outside any MPLS deployment. The need to place your routes in a VRF would probably complicate your setup, though.

Best regards,

Peter

Another option is to re-advertise the prefixes. You may do summarization with aggregate-address without as-set. I had the same situation doing a design 1 year ago. In a migration of a big customer to MPLS/VPN, the customer was using the same provider in the domestic national network that we were using to interconnect via international to our cloud. So, the scenario was: AS 1 (our IP/MPLS AS) AS 2 (Provider) AS 3 (Our CPE) AS 2 (Provider) --Customer Network.

What I did was to do an aggregate-address summary only in Our CPE, without the as-set, in the upstream direction towards our Network. In the downstream direction I sent just the default route from the CPE, conditionally as long as we were receiving the default route from our network: Neighbor X.Y.Z.Y default-originate route-map DEFAULT.

Other options, depending of how many prefixes you are receiving (if not would be a lot of configuration...), would be to do an inject-map, create static routes and do conditional advertisement, etc...

Hope this helps,

JJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card