cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router-on-a-stick VLAN possible with SRP547w & SG200-26?

Brandon Harvey
Level 1
Level 1

As per the title, I just require 3 to 4 VLANS with inter-VLAN communication enabled. 

In the past I have used this router with each port of the internal switch set to a different VLAN, with each in turn hooked up to an unmanaged switch.  This has work fine for me but I want to dip my toe in the world of .1q VLANS and gain some added flexibility and neatness.

Regards,

Brandon.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brandon,

Yes, this will be fine for the SRP500.  Just add the port to the VLANs you wish to trunk and the port will automatically be configured as a .1q trunk.

[edit: You can also set the native VLAN for the port on the port configuration page.]

Regards,

Andy

View solution in original post

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brandon,

On the SRP, navigate;

• Interface Setup > LAN > VLAN Setting
  • Create the VLAN with the attribute as desired
  • Further down are 2 sections, available VLAN and Added interface, add the interfaces to the port

On the SX200 switch you will need to assign a port as a native vlan untagged and all additional VLAN tagged.

• Log the SX200 and navigate VLAN management
  • Create the desired VLAN
  • Navigate to Port VLAN membership, edit the proposed port connecting to the SRP, use the slide arrow to add the VLAN to the port as tagged members

*Ensure the ports connecting are trunk port to allowed multiple VLAN to be carried on the link. An access port permits only 1 VLAN membership.

Hi Andrew! You got me before I can submit

-Tom

Message was edited by: Thomas Watts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brandon,

Yes, this will be fine for the SRP500.  Just add the port to the VLANs you wish to trunk and the port will automatically be configured as a .1q trunk.

[edit: You can also set the native VLAN for the port on the port configuration page.]

Regards,

Andy

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brandon,

On the SRP, navigate;

• Interface Setup > LAN > VLAN Setting
  • Create the VLAN with the attribute as desired
  • Further down are 2 sections, available VLAN and Added interface, add the interfaces to the port

On the SX200 switch you will need to assign a port as a native vlan untagged and all additional VLAN tagged.

• Log the SX200 and navigate VLAN management
  • Create the desired VLAN
  • Navigate to Port VLAN membership, edit the proposed port connecting to the SRP, use the slide arrow to add the VLAN to the port as tagged members

*Ensure the ports connecting are trunk port to allowed multiple VLAN to be carried on the link. An access port permits only 1 VLAN membership.

Hi Andrew! You got me before I can submit

-Tom

Message was edited by: Thomas Watts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Brandon Harvey
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for the speedy response! 

Will purchase tomorrow and give it a go.

Regards,

Brandon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: