Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber with cucm 8.6 with Windows 7 - Setup Issues

David.Pellat
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have Call manager 8.6.2, Presence, 8.6 and Unity connection 8.6.2.

I have setup the system. Phones work on the system, Jabber via iPhone, and iPad works but when i try to connect via Windows 7 client the connection just hangs. I have been through some setup guides and created a Windows device as a Cisco Unified Client Services Framework device.  The user is assigned the device the same as all the other jabber client devices. 

Are there any special configurations or files that need to be loaded for this to work? Any good documents or guides would be greatly appreciated. If you require any more info to assist then please let me know. I heard that you may need to install xml files?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you already reviewed this:

Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.0.x Administration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi,

Have been through the deployment steps. I have Jabber working on the Ipad, and iPhone but still have issues on the Windows 7 device.

When I launch the Jabber app it hangs at the "connecting" phase. I have loaded the below xml (jabber-config.xml)

file onto the TFTP server and restarted the server.

UDS

true

true

false

presence

The Machine we are using is not in AD. Are there any other paramters that I would need to add? our CUCM is synched to LDAP so Jabber will use CUCM for directory information.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi David,

This could be a DNS issue. Try the following:

• Get the host name of the CUP server that you are connecting to (NOT just the IP address).
  • Add an entry into the client machine host file  (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) that maps the host name to the  IP address. NB. Make sure that the editor you use is launched with admin  privileges.
  • Restart Jabber and try to login.

If this works then the issue is related to the hostname information  missing in DNS. Configure the CUP server hostname entry on the DNS  server to resolve the problem

Thanks,

Maqsood

Many Thanks,

I had just worked this out through forums and posts. We added a DNS entry in our DNS servers and used the name for the server setup in the client.

Everything now works. Although the Jabber client is supposed to be the same across all platforms it seems strange that:

• There is no Video calling for MAC users
  • The view of voicemail on the iPad is not the same as PC's, iPhones and MAC's
  • Picking up a call from another phone with a shared line via an iPad is not a function.

Still working on these but they may just be missing features.

Thanks

David

I cant seem to access that document( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg.html ), I get:

Forbidden File or Application

The file or application you are trying to access may require additional entitlement or you are trying to access a file with an invalid name. Additional entitlement levels are granted based on a users relationship with Cisco on a per-application basis.

If you feel you have reached this page in error, please try one of the following methods to locate your document:

1. If you are manually entering the URL into your browser location bar, be sure to include the file name of the page you are trying to access (file names typically end in .htm, .html or .shtml).
  2. Use the Search feature located in the upper right section of this page.
  3. Return to the Cisco.com Home or select a primary site area from the top navigation bar.
  4. Consult with your Cisco Account Manager to confirm you have the appropriate entitlement to access this page.

If you would like to contact someone about this problem, please click on the Contacts & Feedback link below.

Sometimes you have to be logged in cisco.com to see certain links, I removed the "partner" section of the URL, please try it one more time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg.html

regards,

-Fabricio MS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: