Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

OneX Converter or X2-GB-SR

Answered Question
Aug 16th, 2012
User Badges:

Hi all,

Currently I have a 4510R-E with supervisor6-E and TwinGig modules. I need to update connectivity up to 10Gbps and I was wondering which one to choose, the OneX Converter or X2-GB-SR. What are the difference betwen them if both apply to X2 ports?

In the 4500 interface configuration manual I see the OneX Converter as election for supervisor 6-E and X4606-X2-E, but the X2-GB-SR is also compatible with (at least) the X4606-X2-E. Is there any restriction to supervisor6-E that only allows OneX Converter?

Thanks,

Antonio.

Correct Answer by Tom Randstrom about 5 years 4 days ago

Antonio,

A OneX Converter allows you to use an SFP+ transceiver into the hardware's tranceiver module slot, versus installing an X2 transceiver (two components versus one).  Functionally, a OneX Converter module with an 10G-BaseSR compliant SFP+ transceiver installed in it is the same as a X2-GB-SR Transceiver module installed directly into the same slot. They both provide the same functionality. 

This becomes a matter of cost or convenience.  You need to decide which solution is correct for you; the OneConverter + SFP+ SR tranceiver module or the X2-SR transceiver module; they both provide the same end goal; one might be lower cost and the other might be better for sparing purposes. 

Does this answer your question... or just confuse the situation..

Let us know... we are here to help!

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Tom Randstrom Fri, 08/17/2012 - 21:16
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Antonio,

A OneX Converter allows you to use an SFP+ transceiver into the hardware's tranceiver module slot, versus installing an X2 transceiver (two components versus one).  Functionally, a OneX Converter module with an 10G-BaseSR compliant SFP+ transceiver installed in it is the same as a X2-GB-SR Transceiver module installed directly into the same slot. They both provide the same functionality. 

This becomes a matter of cost or convenience.  You need to decide which solution is correct for you; the OneConverter + SFP+ SR tranceiver module or the X2-SR transceiver module; they both provide the same end goal; one might be lower cost and the other might be better for sparing purposes. 

Does this answer your question... or just confuse the situation..

Let us know... we are here to help!

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content