cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 3rd T1 to Cisco 1941 for more bandwidth

jbanksmsi
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 1941 Router with two single HWIC cards supporting two T1 lines 3Mbps total bandwidth. We have a distance learning lab that takes atleast 2mb connection when in use so it realy kills our bandwidth. I was looking to possible add a thrid T1.

My question: Can I just buy a double wide HWIC card and replace the single port one. Would this require re-configuration or it's simply plug n play?

What other options can I try for more bandwidth instead of adding thrid T1.

4 Replies 4

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jonathan,

I guess you have 2 HWIC-1DSU-T1 so you have some options. There is a good card that can help you:

HWIC-4T1/E1

This card has 4 T1/E1 ports so you can configure a multilink and will give you the possibility to add a new T1 in the future if you need it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c77.html

For this card, you will need to add the card type command for it can be T1 or E1. Finally, you will need to properly configure the channel-groups:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4x/12_4_11xw/fmt1e1ic.html

You can also buy one VWIC3-XMFT-T1/E1. You can get 1, 2 and 4 ports card based on your design. The configuration will be similar to that one used in an HWIC-4T1/E1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/data_sheet_c36-609138.html

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

What other options can I try for more bandwidth instead of adding thrid T1.

Something with Ethernet handoff, e.g. Metro Ethernet, DSL, cable modem.

If I go with cable let say Time Warner. It will have its own modem. So the ethernet will go into my firewall or the DES1105 switch, sitting between router and firewall? Is that going to add more bandwidth?

Also the switch is 10/100 switch. Is this wise to use or should I switch to a gigabit switch. Please see diagram below.      

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage

Posting

Doesn't the 1941 have a second Ethernet interface?  If so, you connect it there and run a VPN tunnel to a similar counterpart.

Will this add bandwidth?  Depends on what the cable modem's bandwidth, but obtaining 5 to 10 Mbps isn't unusual.

Unless you're pulling from a source that can send more than 100 Mbps to your router, your 10/100 switch should be fine.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card