Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection COBRAS export failes for some messages

paul.lange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm currently getting an error for some messages when I do a COBRAS Export.

Unity Connection version 7.1.3

At the beginning the IMAP connection is successful.

[Thread 001], [12/08/16 07:57:52],     Checking IMAP connectivity capability before starting export.

[Thread 001], [12/08/16 07:57:52],         IMAP connection established to target.

But for a lot of messages the export is failing - Any Ideas?

[Thread 013], [12/08/16 08:06:59], (error) fetching email via IMAP. Message index=567, error=ChilkatLog:

FetchSingle:

DllDate: Jan 19 2012

UnlockPrefix: LNDBRGIMAPMAILQ

Username: YYYYYYY:XXXXXXX

Architecture: Little Endian; 32-bit

Language: .NET 4.0

Failed.

--FetchSingle

--ChilkatLog

Is this happening for secure messages? Maybe the export is not allowed? Any settings not allowing the export of this messages?

How can i check if I have secure messages on that server?

I did the Export for another server as well. No errors is this situation.

Regards,

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don’t think it’s likely that secure messages would be causing IMAP failures like that on individual messages over normal messages, though – COBRAS establishes a secure SSH connection via IMAP when attaching for the super-user access model used for Connection’s IMAP backup and restore mechanism – once established all messages of any type are available – there’s no difference in secure vs. non secure at that level other than the flag in the header.  You wouldn’t be more or less likely to get individual message failures based on their secure flag or not.

More likely you have some damage on the Connection side (i.e. file system/db error – I see this now and again with sites that take a power hit or the like and then decide it’d be a good idea to get a backup for instance) – there’s no way to tell from the client side much in the way of details, that error gets issued from the server side – you’d need to set some diags on the Connection server side to see what it’s coughing up.

It could be that Connection is having a particular problem with secure messages but I’d be very surprised if that were the case.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

It probably is secure messages that is tripping this up

A Word About Secure Messages

COBRAS does support exporting and importing secure messages into Connection 7.x and later installations and exporting secure messages from Unity 5.x and later installations. It does not support importing secure messages into any version of Unity or to or from Connection 1.x.

COBRAS employs a highly secure AES 128 bit encryption algorithm to encrypt secure messages in the backup database. There are also additional checks required on export to see if each individual attachment (for instance a multiple part message) is secure – if it is the entire message needs to be encrypted. This will add some overhead to the export process – only select the option to include secure messages if you really need them.

There are a few important notes to keep in mind about secure messaging support:

• Secure messages can be exported from Unity 5.x and later. This is optional and it’s off by default. You must select the option to export secure messages AND provide a non trivial password used to encrypt the messages in the backup database. You will have to provide this password during restore to be able to include those secure messages. If you forget this password those messages cannot be recovered, they are lost to you.

• Secure      messages can be exported from Connection 7.x and later. This is optional and it’s off by      default. You must select the option      to export secure messages AND provide a non trivial password used to      encrypt the messages in the backup database. You will have to provide this password      during restore to be able to include those secure messages. If you forget this password those      messages cannot be recovered, they are lost to you.
  • Secure      messages can NOT be exported from Connection 1.x systems.
  • Secure      messages can be restored ONLY onto a Connection 7.x or later server.
  • Secure      messages can NOT be restored onto any version of Unity.
  • You      can NOT extract secure messages from the backup database using the Data Viewer      utility. You can only restore      messages to a Connection 7.x or later server. These messages will be marked secure.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/General/COBRAS/Help/COBRAS_Briefcase/COBRAS_Briefcase.htm#_Toc330199771

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don’t think it’s likely that secure messages would be causing IMAP failures like that on individual messages over normal messages, though – COBRAS establishes a secure SSH connection via IMAP when attaching for the super-user access model used for Connection’s IMAP backup and restore mechanism – once established all messages of any type are available – there’s no difference in secure vs. non secure at that level other than the flag in the header.  You wouldn’t be more or less likely to get individual message failures based on their secure flag or not.

More likely you have some damage on the Connection side (i.e. file system/db error – I see this now and again with sites that take a power hit or the like and then decide it’d be a good idea to get a backup for instance) – there’s no way to tell from the client side much in the way of details, that error gets issued from the server side – you’d need to set some diags on the Connection server side to see what it’s coughing up.

It could be that Connection is having a particular problem with secure messages but I’d be very surprised if that were the case.

Just a short update on this.
We opened a SR to clarify this.
Turns out that these messages were already damaged and not available anymore in CUC.
So its like Jeff said a faulty CUC.

Regards,

Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for weighing in here. To get feedback right from the "top" engineer

and designer of these products is invaluable to say the least!

I'm not sure what we'd all do without this great suite of tools

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

hi,

has anyone ever installed the unity connection 7.x import tool on a unity 7.02 server ? it requires .net4 - will that affect the Unity server?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: