Views
Helpful
Replies

IP base & IP services stackable switches

balsheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm building a wired closet to aggregate user's connections, Im planning to have 5x 3750X stacked switches and there is a need to run EIGRP, I'm thinking to order one switch with IP service image while the rest will run IP base image, is it workable scenario and what are the drawbacks of such combination of images ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

but as per cisco Q&A, you can stack any IOS feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack) which contradict with your explanation !!!

You are absolutely correct.  The ENTIRE stack can either be IP Base, IP Services or Universal feature set.

The Q&A doesn't say you can MIX feature set in a stack, doesn't it? 

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In the original 3750 series, you could mix feature sets (not version [if you wanted correct operation]) within the same stack.  I've done it, worked fine.

With the current 3750X series, believe same feature set is required across all stack members (in addition to same version for correct functioning).

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm thinking to order one switch with IP service image while the rest will run IP base image,

Won't work.  If all the switches will be in a single stack then all members of the stack must run the same IOS version and the same Feature set.

If you have cost issues then break up the stack.  The one with the IP Servces license (use the "universal" image) will be on it's own and link the rest of the stack using fibre optic or copper.

Your solution make sense to me,, but as per cisco Q&A, you can stack any IOS feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack) which contradict with your explanation !!!

Could u plz elaborate more,,

but as per cisco Q&A, you can stack any IOS feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack) which contradict with your explanation !!!

You are absolutely correct.  The ENTIRE stack can either be IP Base, IP Services or Universal feature set.

The Q&A doesn't say you can MIX feature set in a stack, doesn't it? 

Trust me, it depends how u understand and translate "software mixed stack" , it seems they meant by "software mixed stack" different IOS versions from the same feature set not different feature set Images???

If this is the case then you r right )

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In the original 3750 series, you could mix feature sets (not version [if you wanted correct operation]) within the same stack.  I've done it, worked fine.

With the current 3750X series, believe same feature set is required across all stack members (in addition to same version for correct functioning).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card