Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1262 antenna direction

Dear all,

I have to replace a 1230 with an 1262 AP. Do you have any suggestions for me or I'm right with my ideas?

All antennas have to be in the same direction on the AP and I guess when the old 1230 is working well the 1262 will be only better .

Atteached u see how I plan to mount the new AP versus the old one...

I'm happy to hear from you.

regards,

Sebastian

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the antennas are pointing in the general direction of the client.

If the WAPs flushed on the ceilling then the antennas are pointed towards the floor.

Some may disagree and I dont know if Im a fan of it either. However, I have seen and been part of conversations with other wireless engineers specific to 802.11n access point, antennas could benefit from placing the antennas in different directions.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Thanks, I heard that too sometimes but I'm not sure.

I'll check it with a survey on site as soon as I get the chance.

Thank you all for your replies!

-Sebastian

Just to add my 2 cents.

Take a look at the antenna pattern from the Cisco antenna reference guide. If you want to cover more horizontal than vertical, then the dipole should be pointing up or down. If you want to cover more vertical, the the antennas should be at a horizontal position.

The middle port is a RX port, if you have that antenna position different from the outer antenna ports, it will most likely not be used because of the diversity algorithm.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The middle port is a RX port, if you have that antenna position different from the outer antenna ports, it will most likely not be used because of the diversity algorithm. 

Scott I would think the opposite would happen. As each frame is sensed by the AP and then only one antenna engages to accept that frame . Or at least this is my understanding. We could very well be splitting hairs ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure the antennas aren perpendicular to the ground.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Here is a very useful link that explains the antenna patterns and their meanings to be able to properly install the antennas.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/prod_white_paper0900aecd806a1a3e.html

Depending on  the model of antenna being used it will require that is mounted on a certain way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card