Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Duplicate IP alerts

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2012
User Badges:

Hi all,

We're receving duplicate IP address warnings which we believe are to do with teamed NICs on servers. A few minutes later we get a resolved message:

Duplicate  IP on host ON100-K9 (192.168.xxx.xxx) at 2012-08-19 22:57:20 +0100 - IP  192.168.yyy.yyy detected on (MAC Address1  MAC Address2)

Duplicate IP on host ON100-K9 (192.168.xxx.xxx) at 2012-08-20 16:20:59 +0100 - No duplicate IPs detected

Is there any way of configuring the Onplus device to recognise teamed NICs or to ignore them?

Regards,

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
aqkazi Mon, 08/20/2012 - 09:07
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a way of teaming NICs for OnPlus to recognize. I will however add this to our list future enhancements to possibly implement in a future release.

The only option at this time to would be to disable the Duplicate IP monitor, but this would be a global configuration for all devices.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

CHRIS YEO Wed, 10/17/2012 - 11:28
User Badges:

Hi Team,

I am wondering how the duplicate ip address testing works...

We have a customer that is setup like this:

Windows 2008 r2 server (one nic) on vmware (4 nic port trunk - cross stack), that is indicating that we have a few ip's that are duplicated.  The onplus unit is plugged direct into the stack as well.

Thanks!

aqkazi Wed, 10/17/2012 - 15:32
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi Chris,

What are you looking for specifically? If OnPlus detects two devices with the same IP the alert is triggered. I'll see if I can gather some additional details on the detection process for you.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Michael Holloway Thu, 10/18/2012 - 08:01
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Chris,

This is a known deficiency in OnPlus duplicate IP monitoring, OnPlus does not currently support the announcement of the same IP address across multiple hardware interfaces. You are very likely correct that you are seeing this issue because you have a server/device that has multiple NICs bonding via ALB/LACP or other NIC teaming strategy.

Until the OnPlus product team adds a feature to OnPlus to allow for multiple 'devices' to be aggregated into the same device, I'm afraid that the only alternative is to drill into the ON100 device and to disable the Duplicate IP monitor for the time being on this network.

-mike