Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N rebooting when streaming thru wireless

criscunha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an ongoing problem with my WRVS4400N router. It reboots on it's own when streaming video through a wireless connection (computer, xbox, roku, tv). Once I make a wired conection, it performs flawlessly. The firmware is up to date. I have read some reviews of this router on Amazon stating the same problem, but I expected it to be solved with firmware update. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Any inputs greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Mark Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Good luck. Same issue. I try to copy a few gigs to my nas and the router crashes. Laptop is wireless and nas is wired. I have to move a 1GB file and then move another over and over again. It sucks. But it isn't just wireless for me. If I'm moving a lot of traffic wired to wired, it crashes for me too. It just can't handle any amount of throughput.

Hi both, since the router is essentially locking up, requiring a reboot, the logging is not of any use. If you'd like to see the root cause, try to set up an external syslog so the router can report to the external source during failure. This should give you enough information to at least know what happens.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Since I have a reproducable problem that the latest firmware from 2011 doesn't fix, and the fact that the problem seems pretty common according to the internets. Also it's super slow with even the firewall on--so none of the aditional features it supports are worth much. I like Cisco stuff, but my personal opinion is that it's just a lemon of a router. Everywhere i search for this router, I find people with issues--many the same or similar to mine. So I don't really care to find the issue.

I replaced the WRVS4400N v2 router with the old $50 netgear that was there before (which sadly worked better), and then replaced it with something completely different.

Thanks for trying to help though. Good luck Christina. From someone who played with this router for almost a month trying to get it working, my opinion is to replace it with something that works.

Hi all,

I was thinking that, in defense of the WRV4400N, it's built to be a SMB router, and I have no complaints about it performing the functions needed regarding that capacity. I have actually 2 of them, with a VPN set up RTR, and it's fast, reliable and secure.

Now since one is in my home, I hooked up a bunch of other devices too. Which is not what this router was intended for. So, I purchased an additional AP, the Linksys WES610N, and I will disable wireless on the WRV and let this WES handle that.

It should arrive today, I'll let you know how this goes. I hope it will solve this problem.

If not, I'll try to investigate further as Tom suggested.

Tks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: