Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 Multipoint Calls on TP Endpoints

bobby.jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have a Profile series sets and EX90 endpoints which needs to be configured on Call Manager 8.6. I know that it can be add as a device directly from CUCM 8.6 onwards. If i need to do a Multipoint call between by profile65's and EX90's, how can it be achieved?

We also has 9971 phones.

Can i use a MCU, and use as HW Conference bridge in CUCM? Can anyone share a document on this?

Thanks

Bobby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

just tested in lab..works properly with CUCM registered endpoints....I perform testing with following devices

cucm 8.6.2

MCU 4501 sw ver 4.2 (2.30)

Ip-phones used 7985,ip communicator, 9971...

so it should work from 4505 as well...attaching some config snapshots..

Once you are in conf CUCM sends necessary API commands over http to create the ad-hoc conference.

Thanks

Alok

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bobby,

you can use MCU for hardware conference birdge on CUCM. check the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a05confb.html

but its necessary to know what kind of MCU you have??

Thanks

Alok

also check below link for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le21/le39/docs/twtv161_prezo.pdf

Thanks Alok,

Our MCU is 4505.

tnx

Hi Bobby,

I can't say its officially supported or not. As i don't see any documentation mentioning for 4500 series.

But we have tried it and it works.!! you can surely give it a try.

Thanks

Alok

just tested in lab..works properly with CUCM registered endpoints....I perform testing with following devices

cucm 8.6.2

MCU 4501 sw ver 4.2 (2.30)

Ip-phones used 7985,ip communicator, 9971...

so it should work from 4505 as well...attaching some config snapshots..

Once you are in conf CUCM sends necessary API commands over http to create the ad-hoc conference.

Thanks

Alok

Thanks Alok for the confirmation,

I will update you with the result once i finish.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

during the testing i found that actually you don;t need any configuration on the MCU side for registering the MCU as hardware conference birdge on cucm.

you need to just add the mcu as telepresence mcu bridge resource on cucm. that's all it needs.

onlything to take care is that adding the mcu as conf bridge then you won't be able to point the sip trunk to same mcu.

cheers

Alok

Hi Alok,

I had done the MCU Conf Bridge on CUCM 8.6.2 and made a MRGL for all my video enpoints. Also i made a Meetme no. (555)

So now when i dial meetme no.555 from my 9951 phones we are able to do a conference through MCU.

But could you please advice how i will be able to dial meetme or cofigure the same conference from EX90 or Profiles so that all my 99xx and TP endpoints could do a meetme conf.

Thanks

Bobby

Hi Bobby.  I haven't gone as far as configuring meet me numbers in CUCM.  I do believe that TE6, will have the ability to start Ad Hoc Conferencing when registered to CUCM.  Not sure of a timeline or anything at this point for release, but its one of the features that will hopefully be accompanying TE6 when it comes out. 

VR

Patrick

Hi Bobby,

As mentioned by Patrick I am also looking for TE6 to get released. I think i need to run some tests before i comment further.

however is it a requirement to launch the Meet me conference ? because what i know is that once the meet me is launched by any party the other party can just dial the numbers of that meet me bridge and they will join into the conference. The other party's don't have to press meet me and join in the conference.

so i belive you should be able to join in the meet me bridge but you won't be able to launch the meet me.

I don't know if that fulfill your requirement !!

cheers

alok

Thanks alok/Patrik,

Currently iam able to intiate conference using MCU  from 99XX phones by Meetme feature in CUCM, even EX90 can dial the

'meetme' number and join the conference which is intiated by 9971 User.   My question was, how can EX90 can intiate a conference as there is no meetme option. Or can i make a 'multiway' on MCU and register to CUCM so that EX 90 and 99xx can dial the 'multiway' number and join the conference?

Thanks...

Bobby

Hi Bobby.  I'm curious, and will try this later on perhaps, but when I have my 9951 on CUCM along with EX60, if i call EX60 from 9951, then I need to have someone else join the meeting, I hit the conference button on the 9951 and call the other person, then hit conference and the call will escalate to MCU with no problems.  Then 9951 can add more if need be. 

TE6 will have the option for "merge" and use CUCM resource for ad hoc conferencing with MCU and call will escalate to MCU when initiated from EX on CUCM. 

When you say "Multiway", I'm thinking VCS Multiway in which EX90 if configured for Multiway can initiate Multiway conference, but the EX90 must be on VCS in order for this to work and be the initiator of the Multiway conference.  You can probably have MCU as resource in CUCM and have Multiway on VCS running as well if you want to. The problem is, is that you may get real close to over allocating the MCU and then have a resource issue if folks keep building Multiway Conferences etc.  But I think this is something you need to gauge in the environment its running. 

Hope this sorta answers your questions.

VR

Patrick

Thanks for your reply,

As you said, its possible to dial the conference from 99XX phones and also able to join that conference from EX90's.

But if you need to intiate the conference from EX90 its not working.

I was thinking to cancel the MCU Bridge in CUCM and create the following:

On MCU:

1)Configure SIP.

2)Conference ID.

On CUCM:

1)Create SIP Trunk

2)Route Pattern

Hope this would work?

Chao

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Yes currently you can't initiate a multiway by the endpoint registered on CUCM although they can join in a multiway conf.

We would have the adhoc conf bridge after TE6 on CUCM as well, but we don't when it will be available.

what you are thinking is a right way to do. Although confugring the MCU as sip trunk won't allow you to configure the MCU as conference bridge.

so i would give you a suggestion here. Rather then removing the MCU from conf bridge let the config be present. this will allow you to initiate a adhoc conf from 9951 and other ip-phones.

For ex60 you can use MCU as h.323 gateway on the CUCM. and then configure the conf-d and set the route pattern to go to h.323 gateway and this way Ex60 can also initiate the conf.

This workaround will give you both the options. Adhoc conf plus schedule conf to dial.

Cheers

Alok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: