cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SSID no DHCP on guest

mcmattcole
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have Aironet 1040 AP that I am using stand alone. I am looking to have a second SSID for guest network. only problem I am having is how to get DHCP to those clients?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That would definitely be a problem. You would not be able to segment the traffic. You would need a managed switch and a router at the minimum.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matt,

Welcome to CSC.

You will want to trunk at the switch port and add vlans on the ap. See below example.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080665ceb.shtml

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have any managed switches on this network. I suspect this may be a critical missing piece. I was hoping there was some way to accomplish this using only the AP configuration?

That would definitely be a problem. You would not be able to segment the traffic. You would need a managed switch and a router at the minimum.

-Scott

So would an WS-C2960PD-8TT-L be sufficient?

Yes, that would work as it is capable of multiple VLANs.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You just need to make sure you have a router that supports multiple vlans.

-Scott

So I guess just to make sure I can accomplish this correctly I am attaching a quick diagram of my setup. I have two buildings connected by a wireless bridge. If I place a managed switch on just the side with the firewall is that sufficient or do I need one on both sides?

You would need one at each side, if you want to provide both data and guest. The wireless bridge will also have to be able to tag traffic which most do.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: