WLC 5508, SSID selection

Answered Question
Aug 27th, 2012

first off... bad title/subject, but couldn't make it a 1-liner easily.

We have a 5508 controller with about 40 LAPs, running AIR-CT5500-K9-7-2-103-0-FUS software.

The need has arose to have LAPs in various locations that only broadcast specific SSIDs.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it.  It seems like it should be easy, but I'm failing at this search.

I've got seperate dyanmic interfaces already created.

We have 3 "Normal" SSIDs that we broadcast to the LAPs already associated with the 5508.

2 more SSIDs were created (2 different purposes).

I just can't figure out how to get it to certain LAPs to only broadcast the specific SSIDs, while the rest broadcast the normal 3, but not those 2 new ones.

Any other info needed, please ask.

-Casey

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 1 year 7 months ago

I think I understand what you are trying to say.... For example, you want to be able to broadcast SSID1 on some AP's and not on others.... the quick and dirty answer is no.  The broadcasting of an SSID is global, so its either broadcasting or not broadcasting.  It seems like you already understand the AP Group feature and mapping the SSID to the correct interface, but what you want isn't an option on the WLC.

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Casey.Hearn Mon, 08/27/2012 - 14:42

AP Groups is what I was looking at, but they appear to share 1 SSID and the clients get dropped onto dynamic vlans via the AP group.

How do I configure that so that the clients are seeing only the SSID(s) they would have access to?

Leo Laohoo Mon, 08/27/2012 - 15:07
How do I configure that so that the clients are seeing only the SSID(s) they would have access to?

Hide the SSIDs.  That way, the client will only see the SSID they are allowed to and if they are not allowed access to the subsequent SSIDs they'll have to guess what the non-broadcasting SSID is.

Casey.Hearn Mon, 08/27/2012 - 15:31

Can't hide the SSIDs... boss doesn't like that.

Plus, we all know SSIDs are easy enough to see with smartphone apps, etc.

I find it hard to believe that you can't really control what SSIDs are being broadcast on what LAPs.

What I was hoping to do was make an AP group called Vlan68 and have the 11 LAPs for that project in the AP group and only broadcast the new SSID for Vlan68.

Any other ideas, hints?

Steve Rodriguez Mon, 08/27/2012 - 15:33

That would be the way to go.  With AP groups, you can choose a different dynamic interface for the WLAN, but it also only services the WLAN in that list.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Casey.Hearn Mon, 08/27/2012 - 15:42

The problem is really the SSID issue.

I understand how to drop them off into dynamic vlans.  We do that now.  3 WLANs (SSIDs) that utilize about 20 interfaces to drop clients into their own vlan.

So by what I'm hearing, we're unable to "Disable" or "Enable" SSIDs for specific LAPs or a group of LAPs?

(if I'm being thick headed, please say it differently or something)

Again, here's the expectation:

LAPs 1-40 broadcast and use only SSIDs 1-3

LAPs 41-52 broadcast and use only SSID 4

LAP 53 broadcasts and uses only SSID 5

Message was edited by: Casey Hearn to clarify

stubinski Mon, 08/27/2012 - 16:04

Hi,

With AP groups you can specify what WLAN you want for each AP group and you can assign that group to an interface or interface group.  Test it out by configuring one and see if it works for you.

WLANS tab

Advanced --> AP groups

Create a group, add a test AP or APs, add the WLANS you want it to broadcast and the interface you want to use.  APs will reboot when added to an AP group

Hope this helps.

Steve Rodriguez Mon, 08/27/2012 - 16:06

I'm bit sure how else to break it down.

If you Crete an AP group, say group1, and put WLAN 1-3 in that group, the AP in that group only service WLAN 1-3. They won't service for WLAN 4, 15,13 etc.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Mon, 08/27/2012 - 18:16

I think I understand what you are trying to say.... For example, you want to be able to broadcast SSID1 on some AP's and not on others.... the quick and dirty answer is no.  The broadcasting of an SSID is global, so its either broadcasting or not broadcasting.  It seems like you already understand the AP Group feature and mapping the SSID to the correct interface, but what you want isn't an option on the WLC.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/05/2012 - 15:09
I find it hard to believe that you can't really control what SSIDs are being broadcast on what LAPs.

AP Groups address this issue.

Casey.Hearn Wed, 09/05/2012 - 11:24

After further research, we found that this IS indeed possible.

Ok, so it took a call to Cisco to figure it out, but anyway....

WLAN IDs #1 - 16 are placed in the default group. (and the default group can't be modified)

However, when you create your WLAN, if you make the WLAN ID a number higher than 16 (17+), you can then put it in an AP group and only the APs in the AP Group will broadcast that WLAN.

Using the example above:

LAPs 1-40 broadcast and use only WLAN IDs 3,5,10 (default group)

LAPs 41-52 broadcast and use only WLAN ID 17 (AP Group X)

LAP 53 broadcasts and uses only WLAN ID 18 (AP Group Y)

Scott Fella Wed, 09/05/2012 - 11:30

You can also do it using multiple ap groups and not put any APs in the default group.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

stubinski Wed, 09/05/2012 - 12:20

Hi,

There is no need to assign WLAN IDs higher than 16.

Using your example with AP groups:

Default AP Group has no APs assigned to it.

LAPs 1-40 broadcast and use only WLAN IDs 3,5,10 (AP Group W)

LAPs 41-52 broadcast and use only WLAN ID 4 (AP Group X)

LAP 53 broadcasts and uses only WLAN ID 7 (AP Group Y)

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted August 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Stats:
Replies:13 Avg. Rating:5
Views:1712 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard