cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a special command to enable the 10GB Uplinks on SUP eng 720 ??

harryraju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm trying to connect 2 6509-E switches using the 10GB Uplink ports but the link stays down. Each switch has 2 Supervisor Engine 720 10GE installed on it.This is what i have done:

On the first switch:

Created a Port-channel 101

assigned IP address of 192.168.254.13 /30

Added TenGigabitEthernet 5/4 to channel-group 101

Added TenGigabitEthernet 6/4 to channel-group 101

On the other switch:

Created Port-channel 101

assigned IP address 192.168.254.14 /30

Added TenGigabitEthernet 5/4 to channel-group 101

Added TenGigabitEthernet 6/4 to channel-group 101

Have physically connected the ports but the link does not come up.

Port-channel 101 show as down , line protocal is down (Notconnect)

What am i missing ? I'm getting a contractor to check the physical cabling incase it the cables. But if there is something else that needs to be done, please HELP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, is there way for you to connect the switches back-to-back (if the distance allows it and you have a long enough patch cored) to eliminate any patch panel problem?

Hove you tried different optics?

The 10Gig on the 6500 take X2 type optics.  Can you post the part number (it is usually located on the optic)?

have you tried crossing the fiber strands?

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you using single mode optics or multimode?  If you are using single mode optics, you need to use single mode fiber, if multimode you need to use MM fiber. Is the patching between the 2 switches back-to-back or you are using patch panels?

HTH

Hi Thanks for the reply. We are using Single mode optics and single mode fiber and the switches are connected through a patch panel.

Ok, is there way for you to connect the switches back-to-back (if the distance allows it and you have a long enough patch cored) to eliminate any patch panel problem?

Hove you tried different optics?

The 10Gig on the 6500 take X2 type optics.  Can you post the part number (it is usually located on the optic)?

have you tried crossing the fiber strands?

HTH

the distance between the switches is alot so can't connect it back to back. Here is the details for the modules

X2-10GB-LR Class1 , Part# IPUIA70RAB.

I have now test the physical link and that seems to be fine. I used the same link and connected switchs using just a GigabitEthernet interface (Gbic) and the link comes up so this would be there are no issues with the fiber strands..right ?

something else that i noted is that if i do a show int TenGig on both switchs , only one switch is able to display the media type information as "10Gbase-LR". the other switch does not display any media type information at all.

only one switch is able to display the media type information as  "10Gbase-LR". the other switch does not display any media type  information at all.

Than you may have a bad optic in that switch.  Try a different optic and test again.

HTH

I have actually already tested this by swapping the optic between the switches. the switch that showed the media type information before the swap also showed the information after the swap as well. 

Hi Reza

Thanks for all you help yesterday. It was the fiber strands that were not in the correct order . Crossing them did the job. But i'm not sure how the same fiber worked when i connected it through a normal 1GB (GBIC) interface. These 1GB interfaces must have some auto detect feature that allowed it to work . Once again thanks for all you help, its very much appreciated.

Hi Harry,

Glad to help and thanks for the rating.

Good Luck,

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card