Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Private Message

smahalingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am running into a Weird issue with Unity Connection Version 8.6.2.21900-5 and any inputs is much appreciated.

The issue is when User A is leaving a message to User B marking as private ,unity connection is sending the message to User A's Outlook as a .WAV attachment and am able to play the message. This shouldn't be the case and am looking for some inputs here.

Thnaks,

Simah

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Simah,

I believe that is the expected behavior for "Private" messages

How Cisco Unity Connection 8.x Handles Messages That Are Marked Private or Secure

Revised TBD

When users send messages by phone in Cisco Unity Connection, the  messages can be marked private, secure, or both private and secure. You  can also specify whether Connection marks messages that are left by  outside callers as private, secure, or both.

Private Messages

Any  recipient can receive a private message—including non-Connection users.  Recipients can listen to private messages by using the phone, the  Connection Messaging Inbox (in Connection 8.0) or Connection Web Inbox  (8.5 and later), ViewMail for Outlook, ViewMail for Notes, Cisco Unified  Personal Communicator, Cisco Unified Messaging with IBM Lotus Sametime,  or an IMAP client.

A  private message cannot be forwarded by phone, from the Messaging Inbox  (in Connection 8.0) or Web Inbox (8.5 and later), or from ViewMail for  Outlook or ViewMail for Notes.

A  private message can be forwarded and can be saved locally as a WAV file  when accessed from an IMAP client unless you specify otherwise. (See  the "Message Security Options for IMAP Client Access in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x" section to learn how to prohibit users from playing and forwarding private messages and from saving private messages as WAV files.)

When users reply to a private message, the reply is marked private.

When users send a message, they can choose to mark it private.

When  outside callers leave a message, they can choose to mark it private if  the system is configured with message delivery and sensitivity option  for private messages. (available in Connection 8.6 and later only).

When  users do not explicitly sign in to their mailboxes before leaving  messages for other users, they can choose to mark it private (if the  system is configured with that option).

By  default, Connection relays private messages (as regular messages with  the private flag) for users who have one or more message actions  configured to relay messages to an SMTP relay address. To disable  relaying of private messages, uncheck the Allow Relaying of Private  Messages check box on the System Settings > Advanced > Messaging  page in Cisco Unity Connection Administration.

Secure Messages

Secure  messages are stored only on the Connection server, allowing you to  control how long messages are retained before they are archived or  permanently deleted. For secure messages, the Save Recording As option  is automatically disabled on the Options menu on the Media Master in the  Connection Messaging Inbox (in Connection 8.0), Cisco Unity Connection  ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook (version 8.0), and Cisco Unity Connection  ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes.

Secure  messages can be useful for enforcing your message retention policy. You  can configure Connection to automatically delete secure messages that  are older than a specified number of days, regardless of whether users  have listened to or touched the messages in any way. For more  information, see the "Managing Message Aging Policies in Cisco Unity  Connection 8.x" section in the "Controlling the Size of Mailboxes in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x" chapter of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x, available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/administration/guide/8xcucsagx.html.

Secure messages can be played by using the following interfaces:

Connection phone interface

Cisco Unity Connection Messaging Inbox (in Connection 8.0)

Cisco Unity Connection Web Inbox (Connection 8.5 and later)

Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook (version 8.0)

Cisco ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook (version 8.5 and later)

Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes

Cisco Unified Personal Communicator version 7.0 and later

Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator and Cisco Mobile

Cisco  Unified Messaging with IBM Lotus Sametime version 7.1.1 and later. (For  requirements for playing secure messages by using Cisco Unified  Messaging with Lotus Sametime, see the applicable Release Notes for Cisco Unified Messaging with IBM Lotus Sametime at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9830/prod_release_notes_list.html.)

Secure messages can be forwarded by using the following interfaces:

Connection phone interface

Cisco Unity Connection Connection Web Inbox (in Connection 8.5 and later)

Cisco Unity Connection Messaging Inbox (in Connection 8.0)

Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook 8.5

Secure messages cannot be accessed by using the following interfaces:

IMAP clients (unless ViewMail for Outlook or ViewMail for Notes is installed)

RSS readers

By  default, only Connection users who are homed on the local networking  site can receive a secure message. VPIM contacts or users homed on a  remote networking site may also be able to receive the message, but only  when the VPIM location or intersite link is configured to allow secure  message delivery. Message security cannot be guaranteed once a message  leaves the Connection site or is sent to a VPIM location.

Replies to secure messages are also marked secure.

A  secure message can be forwarded to other Connection users and to the  Connection users in a distribution list. The forwarded message is also  marked secure. Users cannot change the sensitivity of forwarded messages  and replies.

When  users sign in to Connection and send a message, class of service  settings determine whether the message is marked secure. By default,  Connection automatically marks a message secure when the user marks it  private.

(Cisco Unity Connection 8.0(2) and later) If you want Connection to announce to users that a message is marked  secure, check the Announce Secure Status in Message Header check box on  the System Settings > Advanced Settings > Conversation  Configuration page. When the check box is checked, Connection plays a  prompt to the user before playing the secure message, announcing that it  is a "...secure message...."

When  callers are routed to a user or call handler greeting and then leave a  message, the Mark Secure check box on the Edit > Message Settings  page for a user or call handler account determines whether Connection  marks the message secure.

By  default, Connection does not relay secure messages for users who have  one or more message actions configured to relay messages to an SMTP  relay address. If a secure message is received for a user who is  configured for relay, Connection sends a non-delivery receipt to the  sender. To have Connection relay secure messages, check the Allow  Relaying of Secure Messages check box on the System Settings >  Advanced > Messaging page in Cisco Unity Connection Administration.  Note that when the check box is checked, secure messages are relayed  with a secure flag; however, most email clients will treat the messages  as regular messages.

Fax messages from the fax server are never marked secure.

ViewMail Limitations Regarding Secure Messages

Secure  messages cannot be forwarded by using Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail  for Microsoft Outlook 8.0 or ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes.

ViewMail for Outlook 8.0 and ViewMail for Notes support only playing secure messages.

Messages  that are composed or replied to by using ViewMail for Outlook 8.0 or  ViewMail for Notes are not sent as secure, even when users are assigned  to a class of service for which the Require Secure Messaging field is  set to Always or to Ask.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/security/guide/8xcucsec070.html#wp1064327

Cheers!

Rob

"Every fool's got a reason to feelin' sorry for himself" - Springsteen

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your notes, but then I think your belief is wrong.I picked up one of the point that you posted above which says:

#

A   private message cannot be forwarded by phone, from the Messaging Inbox   (in Connection 8.0) or Web Inbox (8.5 and later), or from ViewMail for   Outlook or ViewMail for Notes.

To my understanding when a messges is marked private, the receiver should get a message that reads something like"This message is marked private and you should use your TUI ,PCA and the Viewmail to listen this".

In my case the messages are received as a .WAV format and I can listen it using the default wav player, and aslo forward to another person whomever I want using outlook. To me this is not the expected behaviour and FYI ...I do not have viewmail installed on my outlook 2010.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Simah,

Your thoughts are most correct for a "Forwarded" Private message but you didn't mention

that in the original post We were talking strictly about listening to private messages.

Private Messages

#

Any   recipient can receive a private message—including non-Connection  users.  Recipients can listen to private messages by using the phone,  the  Connection Messaging Inbox (in Connection 8.0) or Connection Web  Inbox  (8.5 and later), ViewMail for Outlook, ViewMail for Notes, Cisco  Unified  Personal Communicator, Cisco Unified Messaging with IBM Lotus  Sametime,  or an IMAP client.

#

A   private message cannot be forwarded by phone, from the Messaging Inbox   (in Connection 8.0) or Web Inbox (8.5 and later), or from ViewMail for   Outlook or ViewMail for Notes.

#

A   private message can be forwarded and can be saved locally as a WAV  file  when accessed from an IMAP client unless you specify otherwise.  (See  the "Message Security Options for IMAP Client Access in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x" section to learn how to prohibit users from playing and forwarding private messages and from saving private messages as WAV files.)

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Even listening I think we should not get a attachedment with .wav in the outlook when its marked priviate.All we should get in is a message that reads like :

"This message is marked private and you should use your TUI ,PCA and the Viewmail to listen this".

Thanks,

Simah.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Simah,

Did you look into these settings?

Message Security Options for IMAP Client Access in Cisco Unity Connection 8.x

When users access voice messages that are marked with normal or private  sensitivity from an IMAP client, the IMAP client may allow users to save  messages as WAV files to their hard disks, and may allow users to  forward the messages. To prevent users from saving and/or forwarding  voice messages from their IMAP client, consider specifying one of the  following class of service options:

Users can access only message headers in an IMAP client—regardless of message sensitivity.

Users  can access message bodies for all messages except those that are marked  private. (Secure messages cannot be accessed in an IMAP client, unless  the client is Microsoft Outlook and ViewMail for Outlook is installed or  the client is Lotus Notes and ViewMail for Notes is installed.)

Cheers!

Rob

Can you tell confirm the following:

1.  Are you using an IMAP / integrated messaging setup OR Unified Messaging integration with Exchange (i.e., messages are synced to Exchange via EWS)?

2.  You are NOT using ViewMail for Outlook?

Thanks,

Hailey

Hailey,

1.Am using Unified Messaging integration with Exchange .

2.I have not installed VMO yet because I wanted to test the behaviour of the "Private Messages".Will install VMO on the Workstation once this issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Siva.

Rob,

Yes. I tried playing with these settings and currently I have set it to :

Users  can access message bodies for all messages except those that are marked  private.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: