cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy for WLC 5508 7.1.103

Khoa Pham
Level 1
Level 1

I was trying to setup 2x WLC 5508 follow this instruction , copy config of 1 WLC to another and change the IP address. Then setup HA in global config for all AP

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2036661

Is there a way to confirm fail-over work without turning off the 1st WLC ?

I tried this command on 1 of the AP "show capwap client config"

But it does not show secondary controller config.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure.  Disable the SFP port on the switch-side.  DO NOT disable the SFP ports on the WLC-side or you won't be able to get back in (unless you have Management Port enabled).

APs will loose contact of WLC 1 Management IP address and, if configured correctly, will join the WLC 2 between 5-20 seconds later.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you sure you don't see primary and secondary controller's IP addresses on the command "show capwap client config"?

If configured, primary, secondary or tertiary WLCs appear on the output of this command like this:

mwarName               WLC1

mwarIPAddress        x.x.x.x

mwarName               WLC2

mwarIPAddress        y.y.y.y

mwarName               WLC3

mwarIPAddress        z.z.z.z

Where, WLC1 is the primary, WLC2 is the secondary and WLC3 is the tertiary.

Note that the listing order determines which one is primary and which is secondary...etc. (first listed is primary, second is secondary..etc).

You double check the output of your command.

You can take Leo's advice about testing HA without reloading the WLC, but you can also check HA per AP basis. Try adding one ACL that prevents specific AP from communicating with the primary WLC and wait to see if it will join the secondary or not.

HTH

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add, makes sure you follow and understand this guide regarding ap failover. When you have this configured, you can either test with a single ap by switching the primary and secondary. Or you can console/telnet/ssh to the ap and issue:

test capwap controller ip

Use the ip address of the other wlc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I ran "show capwap client config" and it showed both controller IP as expected. I also switched them and the AP did go over to the 2nd WLC

Scott, what do I expect from this command ?

"test capwap controller ip" x.x.x.x

I type it in with even a random IP and the AP took it with no error.

Thats a command to just have the ap join the WLC you specify.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

As I mentioned , I ran "show capwap client config" and it showed both controller IP as expected. I also switched them and the AP did go over to the 2nd WLC

I typed "test capwap controller ip" command in and wait about 5min. Nothing happen. Does it mean my failover config still does not work ?

No... if you change the primary nd the secondary and the ap moves to the other wlc, then its working.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card