Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and SMS integration, how to configure

zheka_pefti
Level 2
Level 2

Hello folks,

I wonder what I have to do in ISE to enable it sending SMS when activating a new guest account. I believe there must be a corresponding setting somewhere under Web Portal Management to configure SMS gateway neither under Global system settings.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This issue has not been resolved ( %mobilenumber% variable is not inserted into address %mobilenumber%@domain.net).

We opened case on this issue, but it is not yet resolved .

But support working in this direction - is already fixed problems with subdomains (@sms.domain.net) and restrictions on the number of characters after symbol @.

This issue we have resolved as follows: all notifications are sent to corporate e-mail Microsoft Exchange Server, where rule is configured to process messages sent over e-mail/SMS gateway (based on field *Destination in template "Configure SMS Text Notification"). According to this rule, Microsoft Exchange sends these messages to another server that is running a regular "Microsoft SMTP Service" ( for receiving and storing messages in a local folder). The same connector is configured to send messages for @sms.domain.net back to the mail server Microsoft Exchange. In the scheduler is configured launch PowerShell script that "cuts" from the body of the message variable %mobilenumber% (which was previously defined in template "Configure SMS Text Notification") and inserts it into address %mobilenumber%@sms.domain.net.mobilenumber%@sms.domain.net.

When the problem is resolved, this server will not be used/needed, and SMS message will be forwarded directly to the gateway e-mail/SMS or in SMSC.

Sincerely,

Andrey

View solution in original post

This is an awfully old posting with very old ISE versions mentioned.

Would recommend any customers be on ISE 2.2 with latest patch for best SMS support

Also look over the examples here:

If still having problems please work with TAC and SMS vendor and share results
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-guest-amp-web-authentication/ta-p/3657224#toc-hId-838271433

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

conleya
Level 1
Level 1

This is configured under the web page templates for the Sponsor portal.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ise/1.1.1/user_guide/ise_guest_pol.html#wp1068521

It uses the configure SMTP server to send an e-mail message to the SMS gateway.

What you referred me to is configuring the way it the SMS or email message will look like, i.e.template.

My problem is with connection settings. I can't even send the email from ISE not even sending SMS

Hi,

I tried to look into this and it seems as if the smtp gateway is also the sms gateway also. I am thinking that somehow the exchange server will have to have an sms gateway configured to it, but I agree with you it isnt very clear as to how you an send the message with just the phone number, I would think you would need the domain also.

For better results you may want to open a TAC case to see if someone could shed more light on this for you.

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

Have you fixed the problem to send email to guest users? ... I receive an "Internal Error" message when I try to send email to a guest ... How can I troubleshoot and verify at least the ISE is trying to reach the SMTP server?

conleya
Level 1
Level 1

On the page where you customize the SMS message there is a field for the Destination.  This is where you specify the SMS gateway e-mail address.  My ISE has this set to sms@example.com by default.  You would change this to whatever the e-mail address of your SMS gateway is.

I'm wondering what kind of logic did ISE developers pursue to hide SMS gateway portal connection setting in the Language template. I'm still not able to send email to the user who is setup as a guest. ISE gives me an internal error even though I have configured the right SMTP server under ISE Administration->System->SMTP Server. ISE and SMTP server are in the same network and there are no relay restrictions on the mail server.

Faced with a similar problem (in Cisco ISE 1.1.2.142).

When editing a template (Administration->Web Portal Management->Settings->Sponsor->Language Template->English) "Configure SMS Text Message Notification", if the field "* Destination" set to "%mobilenumber%@sms.domainname.net", then there will be no change of the variable "%mobilenumber%" to the phone number entered in the "Guest Account->Phone Number:".

Whether it is possible to use variables "%mobilenumber%" in the "* Destination"?

It looks there's a big gap between what's in Cisco documentation and in the real state of things. Anyone from Cisco support please disprove it. I would appreciate if there's a detailed guide covering just this portion. Why on earth mentioning this feature in the first place if it doesn't work.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

n Cisco ISE, Release 1.1 internalization (UTF-8)  and localization support is focused on the text and information that is  presented to end user (connecting to Cisco ISE) through the Sponsor,  Guest, and Client Provisioning portals. This support includes  internationalizing all text in the end user interfaces, such as labels,  messages, and input configured by the end user or Cisco ISE  administrator and displayed in the Sponsor, Guest, and Client  Provisioning portals. Guest account information that is notified through  email and SMS is also localized.

To confgiure ISE SMS notification for guest account please see the attached PDF file.

Has ANYONE succeed in getting ISE to sent SMS to a varialbe guest Mobilenumber ?

I need the ISE to sent SMS (Via email2SMSgateway service - i know) via the sponsor webpage to that number the sponsor types in. I:E. a variable mobile number

I can only get this work with FIXED mobile-numbers - not variable ones.

Any ideas ?

I use ISE1.2

I have read and tested the link and PDF in this thread. Did you manage to get your to work and how ?

Kind regards'

Martin

This issue has not been resolved ( %mobilenumber% variable is not inserted into address %mobilenumber%@domain.net).

We opened case on this issue, but it is not yet resolved .

But support working in this direction - is already fixed problems with subdomains (@sms.domain.net) and restrictions on the number of characters after symbol @.

This issue we have resolved as follows: all notifications are sent to corporate e-mail Microsoft Exchange Server, where rule is configured to process messages sent over e-mail/SMS gateway (based on field *Destination in template "Configure SMS Text Notification"). According to this rule, Microsoft Exchange sends these messages to another server that is running a regular "Microsoft SMTP Service" ( for receiving and storing messages in a local folder). The same connector is configured to send messages for @sms.domain.net back to the mail server Microsoft Exchange. In the scheduler is configured launch PowerShell script that "cuts" from the body of the message variable %mobilenumber% (which was previously defined in template "Configure SMS Text Notification") and inserts it into address %mobilenumber%@sms.domain.net.mobilenumber%@sms.domain.net.

When the problem is resolved, this server will not be used/needed, and SMS message will be forwarded directly to the gateway e-mail/SMS or in SMSC.

Sincerely,

Andrey

How to receive incoming SMS? Setup for receiving incoming SMS messages is a two step process, assuming you have already purchased a phone number.

This is an awfully old posting with very old ISE versions mentioned.

Would recommend any customers be on ISE 2.2 with latest patch for best SMS support

Also look over the examples here:

If still having problems please work with TAC and SMS vendor and share results
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/ise-guest-amp-web-authentication/ta-p/3657224#toc-hId-838271433
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: