cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Console Connections

Tannersummers
Level 1
Level 1

I just ordered used switches and routers from eBay and I was wondering was thier a way to have each device with a console cable somehow connected to my computer? I heard having a console to serial then serial to usb on a hub would work, any feed back on this method?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You could have easily found the answer with a search.

Most people use old 2511 for that.

Multiple USB-to-serial connections can work. But that really doesn't look good ... ;-)

In addition to Paolos suggested 2511, you could use a very cheap 3620 or 2600 router with an NM-16A. With this module you also need an octal-cable to connect the console-ports.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

So from what I googled, the expansion slot can connect to the octal-cable in which all the console connections connect to using said router as a server? if that is true it seems like the NM-16A seems pretty expensive, is their another alternative?

Answered above.

I can't seem to find anything. Not sure if it what I am typing in the search bar or what.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: