OSPF Redistribution - default route missing

Unanswered Question
Sep 19th, 2012

Hello,

I found the following scenarium:

Our customer has on ots core switches two ospf processes running.

One ospf process injects a default route. This default route should also redistributed into the other process. And therefore inject into te second backbone area.

The command "sh ip ospf process <1> database shows the o.o.o.o route

After redistribution :

Redistribute ospf 1 subnets metric-type 1

The default isn't in the second ospf database?! All other routes are redistributed?!

Any idea?

Thanks

Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Peter Paluch Wed, 09/19/2012 - 22:10

Hi Udo,

You can not redistribute a default route into OSPF, at least in Cisco's OSPF implementation. OSPF on Cisco devices specifically avoids redistributing the default route into OSPF. The only way to inject a default route into OSPF is to use the default-information originate command in the appropriate OSPF process.

Best regards,

Peter

udo.konstantin Thu, 09/20/2012 - 06:08

Thank you Peter...

That is what I also thought...but please can you tell me where I can read this ? RFC ?!

Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Peter Paluch Thu, 09/20/2012 - 06:45

Hello Udo,

This behavior is not specified in any RFC to my best knowledge. It is an implementation choice made by Cisco. However, the following document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml#route0.0

specifically states:

The default routes created using the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command are not propagated by OSPF and IS-IS. Additionally, this default cannot be redistributed into OSPF or IS-IS using the redistribute command. Use the default-information originate command to generate a default route into an IS-IS or OSPF routing domain. For more detailed information on behavior of default routes with OSPF, refer to How Does OSPF Generate Default Routes?

Best regards,

Peter

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted September 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:
Views:300 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard