Helpful
Replies

OSPF Redistribution - default route missing

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I found the following scenarium:

Our customer has on ots core switches two ospf processes running.

One ospf process injects a default route. This default route should also redistributed into the other process. And therefore inject into te second backbone area.

The command "sh ip ospf process <1> database shows the o.o.o.o route

After redistribution :

Redistribute ospf 1 subnets metric-type 1

The default isn't in the second ospf database?! All other routes are redistributed?!

Any idea?

Thanks

Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Udo,

You can not redistribute a default route into OSPF, at least in Cisco's OSPF implementation. OSPF on Cisco devices specifically avoids redistributing the default route into OSPF. The only way to inject a default route into OSPF is to use the default-information originate command in the appropriate OSPF process.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter...

That is what I also thought...but please can you tell me where I can read this ? RFC ?!

Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

here is a cisco link on the default info ori and default route

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9f0.shtml

Hello Udo,

This behavior is not specified in any RFC to my best knowledge. It is an implementation choice made by Cisco. However, the following document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml#route0.0

specifically states:

The default routes created using the ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command are not propagated by OSPF and IS-IS. Additionally, this default cannot be redistributed into OSPF or IS-IS using the redistribute command. Use the default-information originate command to generate a default route into an IS-IS or OSPF routing domain. For more detailed information on behavior of default routes with OSPF, refer to How Does OSPF Generate Default Routes?

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card