cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ise update oui

edondurguti
Level 4
Level 4

How does one update OUIs in ISE? ie new iphone doesn't come up as an apple device.

25 Replies 25

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

ISE gets the OUI update from the ieee database, you have to make sure that the updates are set to running or that you perform an update manually when troubleshooting these issues.

You can google the oui.txt file from the ieee webstie and see if the OUI has been published to apple.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

Hi

Im having the same problem.

Some of our iPhones ends up with unknown OUI and I cant seem to find where I update the OUI datebase, could provide me with this information?

Thanks

/

Björn

are you talking about new iphones?

Yes they are pretty new, 1 - 2 months i would say, however, the ISE installation is just a week old.

When I check the endpoint in ISE, the OUI are UNKNOW but just for a few iphones, most of them work just fine and gets profiled as an apple-iphone.

These few however gets profiled after a long while as Workstations.

/

Björn

I've had the same problem with IPHONE 5 the new ones that came out couple of days ago.

For some reason that would be identified as workstation - could you paste your endpoint iphone profiled as workstation  to see what criteria has been used.

I was so desperate and I've created a user-aget string that seems to come from iphones ( I do use http profiling in wlc 7.3)

User-Agent               CaptiveNetworkSupport-209.31 wispr

for some reason thats whta iphones do, it's wierd and Idk if ieee updated apple database or if ise is updating it.

If it's only a few you can create static entries for them.

There seems to be an issue with iOS 6 devices. I have a case with TAC currently looking into it. If you look at the endpoint information it recognizes that the device is an Apple device and is using a an Apple user agent. But it still registers as unknown. I am having it on several ISE deployments running both 1.1.1 and 1.1 code.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for your input,

Could you please provide update on what TAC comes up with.

FYI the iphone even uses the hostname (iPhone) which should profile it as apple-iphone (OUI = UNKNOWN) but doesn't work.

I'd really appreciate if you can update what TAC comes up with.

thanks

I will let you know what I hear back from TAC. This also effects iPads on iOS 6. Not sure yet about the new Mac OS.

I have seen this issue before, the updates for the oui come from this link:

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt

If this txt file doesnt have the OUI information, then the IEEE is holding up this process. Not much ISE can do outside of adding a custom condition to profile the device.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Tarik Admani, its just that our iPhones has OUI's thats in ieee list

74-E2-F5   (hex)          Apple Inc
74E2F5     (base 16)          Apple Inc
                    1 Infinite Loop
                    Cupertino CA 95014
                    UNITED STATES

Would it be possible to force an update of this list? if its just that the list is outdated in the ISE and nothing with the TAC problem mentioned above ?

There is apparently a feed service coming in the 1.2 update that will alleviate some of the OUI issues. It will automatically update ISE with the new OUI's when they come out. Still looking into the issue as I am not sure why it doesn't show up as an apple-device with the information it does pull. Also doesn't explain why iPads running iOS 5 worked until they were upgraded.

Hi,

Did you check the user agent string to see if that wasnt changed, I know this was an issue when the iOS5 was released. Also the if you are using the default profiling policies, the parent policy is the apple oui check, the apple ipad checks are nested within. You can always go the profiling policy and set the parent policy to none and retest.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

So I added some conditions to the Apple-Device rule to increase certainty. It now comes up as an apple device consistently. I tried removing the parent device for the iPad and iPhone but it wouldn't consistently stay as an iPhone or iPad. Will try making some additional rules for the iPhone and iPad to see if that helps.

Hi all,

I'am having the same issue with new iPhones 5 (not version 5). They are being classified was "Endpoint OUI - Unknown". Anyone know how to update the OUI in the ISE for the new iPhones

Thanks,

Daniel