cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to boot 2511 Home Lab Access Server

madbeader
Level 1
Level 1

I really could use some help.  I have setup a home lab for my CCNA\Security studies and have purchased a 2511 to serve as an access server.  The 2511 was advertised as fully operational but when I powered it up this is the first error message I get.....

ERR: Invalid chip id 0x80B5 (reversed = 0x1AD ) detected in System flash

From my research it appears this may have something to do with an old ROM and newer flash, here is the ROM info....

System Bootstrap, Version 4.14(9.1), SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 1986-1994 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 16384 Kbytes of main memory

Here is the info on the IOS....

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-C-L), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 17-Mar-08 14:39 by dchih

Could this be a simple as a ROM upgrade which I have found on eBay for $10.00?  Or do I have a larger problem?
The boot continues appearing normal until it gets to ....

%SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Terminal is undergoing a cold start

and then completely hangs.

The seller won't answer any emails and in his add he claimed he was a CCIE and used this router in his own home lab.
I really hope someone can give me a direction on this otherwise it looks like I have a $200 box of rocks.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

sclevenger
Level 1
Level 1

Howard,

Boy this was a long time ago, but if I remember right - yes the boot proms, I had to get the latest for everything to work. I still have my 2511 at home for my lab, let me check and if you do not here back from me then spend the 10 bucks.

good luck,

Stephen

Thanks Stephen for the info, I went ahead and ordered the new Boot Roms and it will be interesting to see if that fixes the problem.  It's really sad when someone sells you a problem and then just shines it on and let's you figure it out.

Howard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card