Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking switch 3750E and 3750X

Hello, can I make the stacking of these two switches WS-C3750E-48PD-SF and WS-C3750X-48PF-L. Both have universal IOS.

Thanks for the help

11 Replies 11

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What license do the two 3750s have?

The switch 3750E has IP Base license and the 3750X has LAN Base license.

Thanks.

Hi

Sorry but the 3750E and the 3750x-LAN base is not compatible to stack.

3750x LanBase can only stack with other LanBase.

3750x IpBase can stack with any other 3750 (with the exeption of 3750x lanbase and some older 3750 with 16 Mb of memory)

You can license upgrade the 3750x from lanbase to ipbase and then they are able to stack with eachother.

So it is not a hardware thing it is a license thing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

"The Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series Switches with LAN Base feature set can only stack with other Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series LAN Base switches. A mixed stack of LAN Base switch with IP Base or IP Services features set is not supported."

Good luck

HTH

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

hello Adrian,

A Cisco 3750 switch can be stacked with any other model of Cisco 3750 switches but 3750X to

Participate IP services feature set enabled other wise Basic routing functions, including static routing and the Routing Information Protocol (RIP) will be in use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

please rate if this helps.

thanks

Hello, there isn't an accurate information about stacking of 3750X but if I put the same IOS for instance 15.0.2 could stack the switches. I am not sure if the license are related to the IOS that you download or there is a serial number that you should put to enable the license.

Thanks.

chavilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, the license is joined with the IOS or I should get a serial number to activate the IP Base license because the IOS that I have for the switch 3750E is the same that I have to use for the 3750X.

Thanks.

You need to get a licensekey to upgrade the 3750x its called a software feature set.

Then you can use the same software on both switches (aslong as it is new enough to support the 3750x)

The link i added in the above post explains where you should turn to.

(or you can just go to where you bought the switch and ask to buy a license via them).

If you need to do it right away i think there is a timebombed activation key you can use in the meantime I think it is something like 6 weeks or so.

Good luck

HTH

Hello, Can I downgrade the license of the switch 3750E to LAN Base so I would have both switches with LAN Base license, because these swithes are only access switches.

Thanks for the help.

Hi sorry for the long delay for your answer.

A bit busy at work so I have not been here in a while.

No there is no Lan base license for 3750E only for 3750X.

Good luck

HTH

Hello,

I made the upgrade of license to the 3750E switch, thanks a lo for the help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card