Error extracting webauth files.

Unanswered Question
Oct 16th, 2012

I've come a cross another bug with the way the WLC compiles the webauth bundle. Version 7.0.116.0.  If I make any changes to the generic login error codes I get a compile error "Error extracting webauth files.".

At this point I'll avoid airing my grievances over the buggy nature and lack of development for customised webauth bundles. And simply say that I'm not even looking for a workaround now.. screw it.  You're stuck with the naff green login screen and naff error codes mr customer.

And no... recommending ISE will not help me so just don't do it

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
petnugen Tue, 10/16/2012 - 11:25

Rob I feel your pain!

Have you seen the webauth bundle?

It is pretty straight forward to change the login page, only can be painful if you don't do it very often. The proble is updetting the script file IIRC. There was another issue

This is bug CSCth51156 - Extracting Custom Web Authentication Tar Package May Fail on 5500 WLC.

When running 7.0.98.0 WLC code on a 5508 WLC, the tar extraction process may fail generating the following error: Error extracting webauth files.

This condition only occurs on a 5508 running the 7.0.98.0 code.  The same package can be loaded on a 4404 running 7.0.98.0 successfully, and also to a 5508 running 6.0.196.0.

Workaround:
Create .tar package using the following command on UNIX or Windows (via http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gtar.htm):
tar -cvf login.tar ...

rob.simkins Tue, 10/16/2012 - 15:36

Thanks Pete
I have used the webauth bundle. And let me tell you that trying to be inventive with the HTML is a bad idea. I think most people who attempt to glam up this page are left wondering why they bothered. The best I have achieved is a logo image and some basic text. I don't think it should be this hard, and other vendors are much better at it...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella Wed, 10/17/2012 - 03:47

Rob,

I always use a custom page but that's because I didn't like how the default looks. So all my installs that include guest WebAuth, I will do custom. One thing to note is that on early versions of the 7.0, I had to use Power Archiver to bundle the files into a tar file or else it would fail to load. In 7.2 and 7.3, 7-zip worked fine which is a free tool. Power Archiver is not free. I keep Power Archiver handy just in case.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

rob.simkins Wed, 10/17/2012 - 04:14

I'm using 7-zip to tar and notepad to edit the HTML from a working (edited) webauth bundle.

I literally change the line "The user name and password combination you entered is invalid. Please try again."

to "The user name and password combination you entered is invalid or has expired. Please try again".

Then tar it back up with 7-zip and upload it, then it fails.  Very bizarre, yet probably due to some rare and wonderful coding issue.

Woeful...

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted October 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:
Views:1700 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard