Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address for Licenses for CUCM on UCS

ciscovoiceguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

In oder to get the license for  UCM 8.6 business Edition-6K on UCS C200M2,so far i have install the CUCM 8.6 PUB and SUB and i want to install the license for CUCM 8.6 so my question is that which MAC address do i have to use in order to get the license? i.e as there are VM net MAC address and Physical Ethernet MAC address which one do i have to use in order to get the License file

Thanks

6 Replies 6

To show the license MAC you need to use show status in CLI. See more at this URL, http://www.iptinfo.com/?p=255

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

The license MAC is a number auto derived from a SHA function of the installation parameters. It computes IP Address, Mask, Certificate Info, Default GW, Timezone and NTP reference into the license MAC. This is the new MAC used for licensing on vmware infraestructure.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

I'll just add a note to the good tips from Roger (+5 "R" )

For virtual builds you will need to use the "License MAC" as described

below;

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

#

Cisco  Unified Communications Manager on VMware on Cisco UCS B-Series Blade  Servers uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified  Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC card  is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

#

Instead,  the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX  value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on  the server:

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

Gateway Address (or "dhcp")

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

This hash of these fields is called the LICENSE MAC

Note : Once there is a change in any of the parameters that creates the License MAC, it will

give you 30 day grace period to generate a new license file for the CM based on new license

MAC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_2/install/cmins802.html#wp584709

You can use this tool to help you get the required info;

Answer File Generator

http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html

Cheers!

Rob

EDIT: +5 to Robert as well for his great addition

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

Great work Rob, as always (+5)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Thank you guys for  answering  to my question,I wll check and get back to you

In addition to great posts here as an FYI the licensing model is changed in version 9.0 as ELM tracks all licenses for CUCM/UCXN and IM/P and all licenses are tied to the ELM instance rather than any MACs.Just in case you are going to look into going to version 9.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: