Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM Script for backing up configs

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I've seen posts where people say you should use the archive command instead of EEM for backing up configs but, I don't see an option for doing this when a config change is made:

Archive configuration commands:
  default           Set a command to its defaults
  exit                Exit from archive configuration mode
  log                 Logging commands
  maximum      maximum number of backup copies
  no                  Negate a command or set its defaults
  path               path for backups
  rollback         Rollback parameters
  time-period    Period of time in minutes to automatically archive the

running-config

write-memory  Enable automatic backup generation during write memory

I want to write an EEM script that will issue a "write mem" everytime a change is made to a device. Is there a way to do this silently so, the person on the console doesn't see the command "write mem" issued and the the tranfer of the SCP file to the SCP server?

I think this would get annoying to see everytime you made a change - especially when you are making changes to switchports.

Thanks, Pat.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the config archive feature doesn't support persisting each change when they are made.  That could be dangerous.  If a bad change is made such that the device reloads (but enough time is given to save the change), then the router may enter a reboot loop.

However, if you're sure you want to do this, then EEM can do it by reacting the SYS-5-CONFIG_I syslog message, or the PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD syslog message (generated by the archive feature).

Joseph,

what I have done is backup the config each time someone does a write mem and also once a day (1440) minutes. This is probably insurance enough that we are saving changes.

I don't quite follow what you mean by "If a bad change is made such that the device reloads (but enough time is given to save the change), then the router may enter a reboot loop."

could you provide an example?

Thanks, Pat.

What you describe is fully doable with config archive.  The config change I meant was more of an idea than something specific.  If you encounter a bug that could trigger a crash, you may commit the change before the device crashes.  Then this could trigger a reload loop.

A more probable example could be a change that locks you out of the device (maybe if the device is remote).  If the change is persisted, then a reload wouldn't recover.  In that case, you'd have to have someone onsite to fix the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: