cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP to Autonomous

ejlbarcelon
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new CAP-3500 series access point and i need to convert it to autonomous since my controller has not yet arrived.

i know for the fact that it can be done on 1200 and 1100 series AP but i am not sure if it is still possible with newer model APs.

I cannot find a document saying that it is also working for these new AP models.

Please help. Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Site-Survey Only Mode for 3600, 3500, and 1550 Access Points

You can install Cisco IOS Release 15.2(2)JA on Cisco Aironet 3600 and 3500 Series access points and on 1550 series outdoor access points to perform site surveys. This release runs on these access points with limited functionality. You can manually adjust these settings on the site-survey access points:

Channel on each radio

Transmit power on each radio

Enable and disable the radios

Manually set basic and supported transmit rates

Enable advertised cell power in beacons to client to enable DTPC for doing active surveys

Enable and disable SSID broadcast in beacons

Enable open authentication

If you have a valid Service Contract then you can download the IOS from here.

View solution in original post

I have successfuly converted it to the 15.2 version, at first i tried the earlier version of the Autonomous IOS but it was looking for "k9w7" which only 15.2 version has, so i was not successful in converting to lower version.

You can't run autonomous IOS version 12.X for the 3500.

But as the note said that 15.2 version is site survey mode only. what will be the impact of this for the production?

I was able to configure basic single SSID with WPA2-PSK. but what are the limitations for the "site-survey only mode"? will it support raidus authentication and multiple SSID broadcast?

It wasn't meant to go into wifi production, take note of that.   You're probably the first I've read who wants to run autonomous IOS as a service.  I'd strongly recommend you wait for your WLC.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

mjohnson1914
Level 1
Level 1

There is iOS code for this AP ... You have to download it from Cisco with your cco account.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Site-Survey Only Mode for 3600, 3500, and 1550 Access Points

You can install Cisco IOS Release 15.2(2)JA on Cisco Aironet 3600 and 3500 Series access points and on 1550 series outdoor access points to perform site surveys. This release runs on these access points with limited functionality. You can manually adjust these settings on the site-survey access points:

Channel on each radio

Transmit power on each radio

Enable and disable the radios

Manually set basic and supported transmit rates

Enable advertised cell power in beacons to client to enable DTPC for doing active surveys

Enable and disable SSID broadcast in beacons

Enable open authentication

If you have a valid Service Contract then you can download the IOS from here.

does this means that for 3500 series that it will only run on site-survey mode and will not have full autonomous capability?

You can run a 3500/3600 to provide wi-fi service but CleanAir is disabled.

Leo -- Correct me if I am wrong .. But Cisco is not recommending autonmous mode for these APs in production. Only site survey .. ??

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Correct me if I am wrong .. But Cisco is not recommending autonmous mode for these APs in production. Only site survey .. ??

You're right, George.  Autonomous wifi service not "recommended" but it works.

The OP did say that his controller has "not yet arrived", hence my response. 

Hi Leo,

I have successfuly converted it to the 15.2 version, at first i tried the earlier version of the Autonomous IOS but it was looking for "k9w7" which only 15.2 version has, so i was not successful in converting to lower version.

But as the note said that 15.2 version is site survey mode only. what will be the impact of this for the production?

I was able to configure basic single SSID with WPA2-PSK. but what are the limitations for the "site-survey only mode"? will it support raidus authentication and multiple SSID broadcast?

Also can i downgrade it to 12.4 version?

You can't run autonomous IOS version 12.X for the 3500.

It wasn't meant to go into wifi production, take note of that.   You're probably the first I've read who wants to run autonomous IOS as a service.  I'd strongly recommend you wait for your WLC.

the problem is the finance is holding up the business's budget, i was just trying to help out since they badly need the wifi service and the budget release is still on approval. and no one knows when it will be approved.

I haven't tried this but I do not believe RADIUS stuff will be supported.

OK thanks a lot. I will just try this next week.

A little birdie told me the 15.X autonomous IOS (aIOS) for the 3500, 1600/2600/3600 is a FULL IOS with Spectrum Expert.  So yes, you can do RADIUS.

Apparently, the GUI is alot better.  Give this a try! 

wow that will be great. this will be very useful for us. Kindly give my thanks to the little Birdie too

Be careful if you are doing 802.1q as I believe there is a potential bug.  I'm trying to raise a TAC Case.  Will let y'all know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: