Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W firmware

sideways4wrc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I received my RV180W & started configuring it via web interface.

For test purposes I have it connected to a home broadband router (10.10.7.1). I entered a static route in the RV180W which is on the 10.10.10.x. The RV180W WAN port is getting an IP in the 10.10.7.x network automatically.

I have some questions:

• What's the difference between using "None" or the "DHCP relay" in DHCP mode? "None" turns off the DHCP server in RV180W which is the same as "AP mode", correct? If I do "DHCP relay" & put in the DHCP server in the 10.10.7.1 network ("remote DHCP server" entry), what IP addresses will the hosts connecting to the RV180W get? Is there a recommended way to set this DHCP Mode to?
  • My RV180W came with firmware 1.0.0.30 and I see 1.0.1.9 as most current. However when I go to click to download the *.img it says that it can no longer be downloaded ... why?

Thank you.

Rob

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rob, if choosing "None" as a DHCP mode, it will mean you have to manually configure the devices on your network with the ip address, subnetmask and default gateway along with the DNS settings. "DHCP relay" is used inconjunction if you have your own DHCP server (such as MS Server 2008).

It would not be advisable to make the DHCP scope of the RV180 to be 10.10.7.1 network since the WAN IP is also the 10.10.7.x network. The reason being, this will conflict and make it so the computers behind the RV180 can't get to the internet.

Right now, as your present scenarion, using the router behind your residential gateway, the RV180 WAN subnet MUST be different than the RV180 LAN subnet. This is called "Double-NAT".

For the last inquiry, where are you receiving this error message? From the Cisco website or from the RV180 page?

Here is the download link

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=284005904&catid=268437899&softwareid=282465789&release=1.0.1.9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

If you're having problems to upload to the router, try using a different internet browser.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas,

I hope I'm not doing double-NAT. To reaffirm the testing setup I have, home broadband router is on 10.10.10.1 network and giving the 10.10.10.x IP lease to the WAN port on the RV180W.

The RV180W is using the 10.10.7.1 network & RV180W's DHCP server is dishing out 10.10.7.100 - 10.10.7.254 to clients. So this testing setup should be okay, correct?

Your link seems to be for RV180 - I have RV180W so I think this is the link: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=284005928&flowid=32283&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.1.9&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest ... the funny thing is that it's now downloading!!! Go figure because I swear it wasn't enabling me to download this morning using the same browser (Chrome). Another thing I noticed - when I first used your link I saw two options, download or add to cart; the RV180W only has the option to download. Bottom line I'm glad I am able to download now so I can continue the testing.

Thank you.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: