cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus F2e Series Modules

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Can someone tell me what's the difference between F2 and new F2e?  All I can find is MACsec support. Is that it? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The biggest gripe (and Gotcha) when people purchased the N7K-F248XP-25 (aka standard F2) is one inability of this line card to work with M1/M2 and F1 card.  The F2 has be in it's own little VDC.   No one in Cisco would admit that this was due to an engineering fault (or disaster).

So the F2e was born.  Whatever the standard F2 can do, the F2e can do as well.  And the F2e can work with M1/M2.  And when this happens (as stated on the Data Sheet) "When deploying the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module in a VDC together with the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules, the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module will run in Layer 2-only mode, delegating all Layer 3 capabilities to the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules present in the VDC. The initial software release does not support this capability."

The F2e comes in two "shapes":  48-ports of either 1/10BaseTx or SFP/SFP+

Like the F2, the F2e will still not be able to support OTV (Integrating F2 Series Modules Into a Cisco Nexus 7000 Series System).

Due to the release of the new F2e card, expect Cisco to announce (in 6 months time) the end-of-sale of the standard F2 card.  (My own opinion, read below for Cisco Nexus 7000 Production Management Team rebuttal.)

II am not sure what Cisco will do to clients who mistakenly purchased the standard F2.  Will Cisco quietly allow them to trade or swap to F2e?  Only people (like Jerry) in Cisco will know.

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The biggest gripe (and Gotcha) when people purchased the N7K-F248XP-25 (aka standard F2) is one inability of this line card to work with M1/M2 and F1 card.  The F2 has be in it's own little VDC.   No one in Cisco would admit that this was due to an engineering fault (or disaster).

So the F2e was born.  Whatever the standard F2 can do, the F2e can do as well.  And the F2e can work with M1/M2.  And when this happens (as stated on the Data Sheet) "When deploying the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module in a VDC together with the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules, the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module will run in Layer 2-only mode, delegating all Layer 3 capabilities to the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules present in the VDC. The initial software release does not support this capability."

The F2e comes in two "shapes":  48-ports of either 1/10BaseTx or SFP/SFP+

Like the F2, the F2e will still not be able to support OTV (Integrating F2 Series Modules Into a Cisco Nexus 7000 Series System).

Due to the release of the new F2e card, expect Cisco to announce (in 6 months time) the end-of-sale of the standard F2 card.  (My own opinion, read below for Cisco Nexus 7000 Production Management Team rebuttal.)

II am not sure what Cisco will do to clients who mistakenly purchased the standard F2.  Will Cisco quietly allow them to trade or swap to F2e?  Only people (like Jerry) in Cisco will know.

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo

Thanks a lot.  Glad they fixed that.  First I've heard on "No one in Cisco would admit that this was due to an engineering fault (or disaster)." so thanks for that info as well.

First I've heard on "No one in Cisco would admit that this was due to an engineering fault (or disaster)."

I've asked a few Cisco people and even a Nexus trainer and their response was "unanimous":  The inability of the standard F2 to work with M1/M2 and F1 is a deliberate feature.

Sure.  Pull my other leg, it's got bells. 

Hi Leo / all,

So, from my understanding of the new F2E cards, how it manages to interop with the M1 cards is by demoting its capability to do L3 and letting the M1 perform the L3:

When deploying the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module in a VDC together with the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules, the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module will run in Layer 2-only mode, delegating all Layer 3 capabilities to the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules present in the VDC. The initial software release does not support this capability

We all know that if F1 and M1s are in the same VDC, and if that the M1 ports somehow is not functioning or accidentally removed from the VDC, the VDC is then unable to perform L3.

So now, with the F2E cards available which is natively able to do L3, will it promote itself back to be able to perform L3 once M1 ports are removed?

Besides that, are there any "catches" to deploying M1 and F2Es in the same VDC? I cannot seem to find any more documentations regarding this matter other than the statement quoted above. Maybe someone here can point me to the right direction?

Regards,

Dennis Goh

nruello
Level 1
Level 1

"Hi Robert,

The F2e is built on the same architecture of the extremely successful F2 module and offers all the F2 capabilities while introducing a few incremental enhancements:

• Tighter Integration of FabricPath with our Mobility Technology (LISP) and Transport Technology (MPLS) by leveraging M-Series (M-F2e VDC interop)
  • Wire rate encryption with MacSec on a subset of ports
  • MAC Scalability beyond 16K MAC addresses by leveraging M-Series (M-F2e VDC interop)
  • Option for the 1G/10GBase-T Copper Module

Please rest assured that Cisco does not plan to EoS the F2 in the next 6 months as erroneously suggested in this forum.

Thank you.

-- Nexus 7000 Product Management Team

Please rest assured that Cisco does not plan to EoS the F2 in the next 6 months as erroneously suggested in this forum.

Then accept my apologies for the incorrect presumption.

On the lighter side, soooooo you are saying the the standard F2 will still be "promoted" by sales?   I'm trying to fanthom the philosophy and usage of this line card. 

Hello,

can i know the NX-OS version/relase will make me able to benfit from joining the ports of F2E and M1 in a one VDC, and if its avilable now.

Best regards,

Samer Hasan

Hi Sammer,

Apparently in 6.2.2 just released yesterday !!!!!!!!

Regards,

Bruno

Thanks for the news, Bruno.

I read the 6.2(2) Release Notes and here's the gist of it:

•The F2e and F2 Series modules cannot exist with the F1 Series module in a VDC.

•A new VDC type, F2E, supports only F2e Series modules, but can be added to other VDC types to allow F2E to be part of the same VDC with F2 modules, or M1 or M2 Series modules. An F2e Series module and any M Series module can be configured in the same VDC.

Sounds a great news, as i didnt order the equipments yet

thank you all for the support

Samer,

If you haven't ordered the equipment yet, I would recommend you hold off until the new F3 cards are released.

Hi Leo,

i think i have 2 weeks before i have to order my equipment’s, but will the F3 line card provide me the 10-G port density, cany you tell me more about this line card.

Keeping in mind i am ordering the N7K-7010.

Keeping in mind i am ordering the N7K-7010.

Have you ordered the chassis yet?  If not, then don't. 

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Nexus 7000 10-Slot Chassis 46Gbps/Slot Fabric Module

Also go here:  Nexus 7000 End-of-Sale Notices

Nexus 7710 is replacing Nexus 7010.

Thank you for the info. its serious one, i didn’t order yet as i am waiting the financial offers, and need to do my

assessment between Cisco and HP.

in the first place i was going 6500/4500 but the concern was the EOL which might be expected within 10 years for the

6500/4500, so the N7K won that game but getting N7K EOL that much soon is a surprisingly thing, will make me to hold a bit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: