cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 9.0(1) to 9.1(1) upgrade fails.

hsticher
Level 1
Level 1

Problem: Primary Unit unable to boot with image 9.1(1)

Secondary boots with 9.1(1) and works without any problem

Environment: active/standby

Hardware:   ASA5520, 2048 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 Celeron 2000 MHz,

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 256MB

Slot 1: ATA Compact Flash, 512MB

BIOS Flash M50FW080 @ 0xfff00000, 1024KB

#Sh tech-support shows no difference between both units.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for sharing the second attempts and steps that you have taken. I am sure it will help others who have similar issues.

The first time around it might have been corrupted file when you upload it to the primary, that's why it's not booting up at all.

Pls kindly mark the post as answered so others can learn from it. Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what exact error message are you getting when you've tried to upgrade primary to version 9.1.1

Can you try to upgrade it via ROMMON?

Symptom: At the console port one can see the boot process looping by trying to boot with V9.1.1. I’m not quite sure, but I mean, no error message was displayed.

Solution: Interrupt booting and boot V9.0.1 by ROMMON.

It could be possibility that the 9.1.1 image that you uploaded to the primary ASA is corrupted or the full image might not be completely uploaded hence it can't boot with that image.

Pls check the image that you upload to flash, and make sure that the filesize is the same as the one you downloaded from cisco.com download page.

Also, try to reupload the image file again.

The file size (27.260.928) is equal at both units. I used the ASDM File management feature to download the image onto both units.

Second attempt:

I deleted V9.1.1 at both units and started a new file transfer over CLI. The file size is identical again at both units and the same as copied by ASDM (27.260.928).

Made the Secondary the Active unit running with V9.0.1.

Reloaded the Primary unit with V9.1.1. It was coming up now!

Made the Primary unit the Active one with V9.1.1 running.

Reloaded the Secondary unit with V9.1.1.

Now both units are running with V9.1.1. I did the same steps at my first success less upgrade attempt. The only difference was to boot the Primary unit after the Secondary.

Thanks for sharing the second attempts and steps that you have taken. I am sure it will help others who have similar issues.

The first time around it might have been corrupted file when you upload it to the primary, that's why it's not booting up at all.

Pls kindly mark the post as answered so others can learn from it. Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card