Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a Peripheral Gateway (PG)

happyatuni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear NetPro gurus,

I have used UCCX for a number of years but I am a newbie on UCCE.

What is a Peripheral Gateway (PG)? I have read a number of CCO documents but i still couldn't grab the idea of what it does.  Some documents called it Agent PG, some called VRU PG, some called CM PG & another one called IVR PG?

So what is PG?

Would greatly appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Hunt

7 Replies 7

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hunt,

You are on the right track, PG by definition is:

Interfaces to various ‗peripheral‘ devices, specifically to Unified CM, VRU (Unified IP IVR or Unified CVP), or Multichannel products (EIM and WIM for email and chat). The PG includes one or more Peripheral Interface Managers (PIMs) for the specific device interfaces.

Think about at as a bridge to other apps, when Geotel design ICM the idea was that it will integrate to various vendors, i.e. Avaya, Aspect, Rockwell, etc.  CUCM is one possible integration, so when ICM is integrated with CUCM the solution is called UCCE.  PGs are there to integrate CUCM for example to ICM central controllers, it is there to also integrate IVR solution such as CVP, you can share the same physical PG for multiple integrations with some limitations as described in SRND.  So CUCM PG would be considered agent PG and CVP would be VRU PG (separate PIMs).

If you have not read the SRND yet, it would be an excellent idea is it describes UCCE different architectures in details, here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/ipcc_enterprise/ippcenterprise9_0_1/design/guide/ucce_srnd_9.x.pdf

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thanks so much for your explanation Chris.

What is CTI Server / CTI OS? Is it for controlling 3rd party (non-Cisco) Agent Desktop softwares? Also, what is a Network Interface Controller? And when would i need one in my UCCE setup?

Cheers,

Hunt

Hunt,

That is a process for controlling Cisco desktop, you have 3 desktop options these days:

1. CAD

2. CTI OS

3. Finesse (new)

depending on which one you are running you need to have proper process installed/running, these typically run on the PG physical server. Again all of this is nicely described in the SRND I provided link for.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Happy 4th of July Chris and thank you, once again, for shedding light onto another area of Cisco IPT that is cornfusing!

Amir

Happy 4th of July to you and thanks for posting to 7 month old thread :-)

HTH, Please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Chirs (+5)

I came across this old thread while Learning stuff on CVP, UCCE etc. Great answer as always. I have just began my journey into the world of UCCE..

Please rate all useful posts

Thank you Deji for nice rating.  I am sure you will master UCCE in no time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: