Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K F2 & F2e

pdotchon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I understand that an F2 module can coexist with an F2e module in the same VDC, but can I combine ports from both modules to form a vPC peer link? Where is this documented, as I don't want to purchase cards only to find it won't work!

Thanks,

Phil Dotchon

15 Replies 15

pdotchon
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone from Cisco comment please?

The easiest way to get a "secure" answer are the following:

1.   Open a TAC Case; or

2.  Contact your Cisco SE (do not contact your authorized Cisco reseller).

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

When configuring a vPC peer link on an F2 Series  module, you must have an F2 Series module on either side of the vPC peer  link. Only identical I/O modules on either side of a vPC peer link are  supported. Using different I/O modules on either side of a vPC peer link  is not supported.

more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/release/notes/61_nx-os_release_note.html

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for all of the responses. I opened a TAC case as well as asked our Cisco SE, and thought I should post the final conclusion for others to see.

The F2 and F2e series modules can coexist in the same VDC, and ports from both modules can be combined to form a vPC peer-link. To quote the TAC engineer:

Answer:- Yes, in 6.1(2) you can use F2 and F2e in the same VDC. They can be used to build a single peer-link.

Possible combination for a single peer peer-link

F2 ------  F2

F2e ----  F2e

F2 -----   F2e   --> Yes, this is Possible.

Additional info for 6.1(2) i.e current release related to F2e

•  F2e Modules cannot exist in the same VDC as M1/M2/F1 modules

•  F2e does not have any slot restrictions in any chassis

•  In NX-OS 6.1 F2 VDC supports both F2 and F2e modules

So, basically they F2e can be considered the same as an F2 module in terms of using and mixing ports to form a peer-link.

regards,

-phil

Thanks for the update

F2e Modules cannot exist in the same VDC as M1/M2/F1 modules

Enhanced F2 Series Modules states "The enhanced F2-series module hardware is capable of interoperability with M2-series modules and the XL versions of M1 series modules", however, it didn't state whether it can co-exist in the same VDC.

Another thing, if you look at the data sheet of the F2e card, it states (in small fonts) "When deploying the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module in a VDC together with the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules, the Cisco Nexus 7000 F2e-Series Fiber Module will run in Layer 2-only mode, delegating all Layer 3 capabilities to the Cisco Nexus 7000 M-Series modules present in the VDC. The initial software release does not support this capability."

Hi,

My question was related to the F2 & F2e modules; I appreciate that there are other restrictions to do with the M1,M2 and F1 modules, but that is a separate issue.

Your quote from the release notes is actually the main point of the F2e module really, it is able to _coexist_ with the M2 and M1XL module in the same VDC- the 'interoperability' term means 'coexist in the same VDC'. This will only be supported with a future code release, not today.

Regards,

-phil

mlinder01
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have the same topic at customer side... because now we have 2x N7k with each one F2 Module in it and vPC. Now we need some more ports. I would like to have the new F2e Modules but i don't now what happen to the Peer-Links.

- Is it possible to have on the same Chassis one port from Module F2 and one port from Module F2e to form the vPC Peer-Link?

Thanks

Manuel

Hi Manuel,

Yes, this is a supported configuration, see my reply on 13-Jan-2013 10:24 above

Do you have this setup in your Environment meaning N7k1 with F2 / F2E modules and N7k2 also with F2 / F2E and the Peer link configured with Ports from both modules? Regarding my Information this is not supported see attachement

Regards

Manuel

No, I don't have this setup yet, but we will have in the next few months.

The information I posted, as stated above, is a direct cut/paste of the reply I had from Cisco TAC:

Answer:- Yes, in 6.1(2) you can use F2 and F2e in the same VDC. They can be used to build a single peer-link.

Possible combination for a single peer peer-link

F2 ------  F2

F2e ----  F2e

F2 -----   F2e   --> Yes, this is Possible.

Additional info for 6.1(2) i.e current release related to F2e

•  F2e Modules cannot exist in the same VDC as M1/M2/F1 modules

•  F2e does not have any slot restrictions in any chassis

•  In NX-OS 6.1 F2 VDC supports both F2 and F2e modules

Feel free to open your own TAC case and ask the same question, it would be good to get confirmation for a third time.

Hi,

I'm updating this discussion to protect somebody from being misunderstand the some feature.           

Please, refer to New VDC features in Release 6.2(2) are as follows:

- A new VDC type, F2E

- An Administrator VDC on the Supervisor 1 module

- Support for an F2e Series module and an M Series module in the same VDC

Hi,

Please refer to the below for vPC peer link on the mixed module:

vPC Peer Link and I/O Modules Support In Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(2), mixing I/O modules on the same side of a port channel is supported when there is an F2 Series module and an F2e Series module, or when there is an F2e Series module and an M Series Module. You can configure F2E VDCs. The VDC type for two vPC peer devices must match when the F2 Series module and the F2e Series module are used in the same VDC or system. For an F2 Series module and an F2e Series module in the same topology, the features related to the F2 Series module will only apply. After ISSU to Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(2), F2 VDCs will automatically change to F2 F2E VDCs, regardless of the existence of an F2e Series module.

Table displays the I/O modules that are supported on both sides of a vPC peer link in Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2.

vPC Primary

vPC Secondary

M Series I/O module

M Series I/O module

F2 I/O module

F2 I/O module

F2 I/O module

F2e I/O module

F2e I/O module

F2e I/O module

F2e I/O module

F2 I/O module

vPC Peer Link and I/O Modules Support In Cisco NX-OS Release 6.1 and Earlier Releases

In Cisco NX-OS Release 6.1 and earlier releases, only identical I/O modules on either side of a vPC peer link are supported. Using different I/O modules on either side of a vPC peer link is not supported. Mixing I/O modules on the same side of a port channel is also not supported.

Table 7-2 I/O Module Combinations Supported on Both Sides of a vPC Peer Link, Cisco NX-OS Release 6.1 and Earlier Releases.

vPC Primary

vPC Secondary

F1 I/O module

F1 I/O module

M1 I/O module

M1 I/O module

F2 I/O module

F2 I/O module

Is it possible to have on the same Chassis one port from Module F2 and one port from Module F2e to form the vPC Peer-Link?

Yes, FYI

vPC Peer Link and I/O Modules Support In Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 6.2(2), mixing I/O modules on the same side of a port channel is supported when there is an F2 Series module and an F2e Series module, or when there is an F2e Series module and an M Series Module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: