Migration of remote location AP's (4400 to 5500)

Answered Question
Jan 8th, 2013

Hi all,

I have a existing wireless setup of 4400 WLC with some  AP's  connected remotely,now i am migrating the whole setup to the new WLC 5500. All the AP has been registered to the new WLC 5500 except the remote location AP's.As there was no option of giving IP address in GUI of the controller in 4400 WLC, i have changed the controller name and restarted the AP, but even though it is going back to the old controller. Please suggest on this.

Thanks,

Prasanth.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by shibivdev about 1 year 3 months ago

Because AP has saved the Details of Previous Controller details. Have you checked APs Joining process through console? If it is not able to discover the Controller and it is going to previous controller, you can do a hardware reset by pressing reset button in AP and you can give Static IP for AP and Controller IP manually throgh CLI of AP

capwapp ap ip address (IP for AP ) (mask)

capwapp ap controller ip (IP of WLC )  (Mask)

Average Rating: 0 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 01/08/2013 - 22:42

Are the remote APs compatible with the code version your running on the 5508?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

sathyanarayana.b Tue, 01/08/2013 - 23:27

Hi scott,

Thanks for your replay.

As they are registered in 4400 they are with the 10b(JDD) version.

But as i know that if the AP regester with the new controller the version will be upgraded automatically.

Regards,

Prasanth.

Correct Answer
shibivdev Wed, 01/09/2013 - 02:28

Because AP has saved the Details of Previous Controller details. Have you checked APs Joining process through console? If it is not able to discover the Controller and it is going to previous controller, you can do a hardware reset by pressing reset button in AP and you can give Static IP for AP and Controller IP manually throgh CLI of AP

capwapp ap ip address (IP for AP ) (mask)

capwapp ap controller ip (IP of WLC )  (Mask)

smengi Wed, 01/09/2013 - 11:31

What is the code version on 4400 and new 5500?

As you have both of them live as of now, i assume, are they in the same subnet?

What discover option do you have for laps?

See if you can ping wlc5508 from those laps consoles, if you can try manual configuration as suggested in previous post.

sathyanarayana.b Fri, 01/11/2013 - 05:58

The both controllers are in the same subnet.AP's and controllers are able to ping each other.

I have given the mstratic ip for the AP and the controller ip, it is trying to connect with the controller and extracting the file from controller but in iddle i am getting an error unable to extract and going back to discovery mode.it is not registering with the new controller.

smengi Fri, 01/11/2013 - 07:58

I think you forgot sharing the software/code versions on both wlc.

If there is a platform shift between the two you would see this behaviour.

For eg:

If 4400 is on 4.0.x (Lwapp)

and 5500 is on 7.0.x (CAPWAP),

i would say this could be expected.

In this case you would need your wlc 4400 upgraded to atleast 4.2.209.0 and join laps to it untill they download 4.2.x

And then try joining them to 5500 which i believe would proceed smoothly.

sathyanarayana.b Fri, 01/11/2013 - 22:52

The software version on WLC 4400 is 4.2.207.0 and the software version on WLC 5500 is 7.2.103.0

Leo Laohoo Fri, 01/11/2013 - 14:41
As there was no option of giving IP address in GUI of the controller in 4400 WLC, i have changed the controller name and restarted the AP

Do I read this correctly?  In the "High Availability" tab you can only put the name and NOT the IP address?  This means that the 4400 is running 4.0.X firmware (or early 4.X).

If this is the case, then the only way for you to "move" the remote APs from the 4400 to the 5508 will be via CLI (on the 4400).  The command is this:   config ap primary-base controller_name cisco_ap [controller_ip_address]

Another method is Option 43.

sathyanarayana.b Fri, 01/11/2013 - 22:55

Yes it is not having option for ip address and no "High Availability" tab.

The software version on WLC 4400 is 4.2.207.0 and the software version on WLC 5500 is 7.2.103.0

waseemfarrakh Sat, 01/12/2013 - 00:19

if the controller 5500 and the AP are in different subnets than you need to configure the VCI and Option43 (newcontroller iP in hexadecimal format) in the remorte AP vlan's DHCP pool.

plus configure in the high availibilty of the AP the new controller 5500 series hostname and Mgmt IP as a primary controller and apply it then you need to say reset ap, ap will reboot and try to join new contl 5500 (primary) first.

make sure the time on the new controller is set same as of the old controller or use your network's NTP server.

i think ths will solve the issue.

Leo Laohoo Sat, 01/12/2013 - 01:45
Yes it is no option [sic] for ip address and no "High Availability" tab.

Use the command in my previous post.  The command will tell the AP which primary controller to join.

Be aware that once the AP joins to the 5508, and because the 5508 is running a higher firmware, the AP will first download the firmware and reboot.  During this time, the radios to each AP will not be operational.

Scott Fella Sat, 01/12/2013 - 03:29

You never answered my initial question... Did you review the link I posted? Is the AP model you have that still supported in the code you are running on the 5508?

Can you tell us what's del AP's you have?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted January 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Stats:
Replies:15 Avg. Rating:
Views:532 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard